Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Adware-popuper detected by PestPatrol-how to remove?

by tom4561 / October 9, 2005 10:42 AM PDT

PestPatrol detects adware named Popuper. It gives me the option to quarantine it(which I do).
PP states that it resides in memory.
PP keeps picking up Popuper and asks me to scan.
If it's quarantined, why does it keep coming back, and most importantly, how do I permanently remove it?

Thanks for any help. Tom.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adware-popuper detected by PestPatrol-how to remove?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adware-popuper detected by PestPatrol-how to remove?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Adware-popuper...............
by 09Bentley / October 9, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

Use the "Search" program to find "popuper" in the memory.
Delete every listing for it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks for your help-am following your advice.
by tom4561 / October 11, 2005 11:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Popuper trojan
by El Alquimista / October 10, 2005 4:03 AM PDT

According to bleepingcomputer.com, popuper is a Trojan that is started at each bootup by a registry entry

Most anti-adware/anti-spyware programs have the ability to delete as well as to quarantine files. I have never used Pest Patrol so I don?t know about it, but you should check for that option. However, if the registry entry is not removed also, you may then get a registry error each time you boot.

If Pest Patrol does not completely remove this pest, try Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and/or Microsoft Antispyware. These all have free versions that can be downloaded. Actually, you should always have two or three such programs available because none of them catch all malware.

If you try to remove it manually, search not only for popuper, as Lil Abner suggested, but also for notepad2.exe which it often masquerades under (do not remove notepad.exe by mistake!). Check the above link to see which registry entries it may be using to load into memory. Your profile does not indicate anything about your level of expertise; if you are not familiar with registry modification, please ask for more help ? mistakes here can have serious consequences.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thanks for your help Frank.
by tom4561 / October 11, 2005 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Popuper trojan
Collapse -
Pest patrol and Popuper
by iwuud2 / October 17, 2005 7:29 PM PDT

I also have PestPatrol and get the same warning about Popuper being in my memory. I also use SpyBot S&D, Microsoft antispyware program, along with Ad-Aware SE Plus, SpySweeper, and TrojanHunter. The scans never show up anything about Popuper.... I just did a search of Popuper and nothing showed up...

I never get a Registry error upon bootup.I know enough about pc's to know not to mess with the Registry unless you know what your doing, and I stay away from going into the Registry....LOL

Collapse -
nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem
by tom4561 / October 18, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

I have some(most)of the same anti-spyware as you, and they don't pickup Popuper.
I hope you can figure this out so I could benefit also. Tom.

Collapse -
Popuper
by iwuud2 / October 17, 2005 7:42 PM PDT

Hi Frank,
would a Registry cleaner program get rid of this "popuper" entry? I've heard Registry Mechanics is a good program. What do you think?

Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?