HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Advice: Software/Database

by Gstewey / August 1, 2013 2:01 AM PDT

I need some ideas and ways to approach a new hire process that will need to be built from scratch. From forms to emails, signatures from managers and process flow. Just gaining some high level ideas at this point. I appreciate any feedback.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice: Software/Database
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice: Software/Database
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scary!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2013 2:30 AM PDT

HR and such software is rarely developed from scratch. But let's go with this. That is, you are wanting to hire programmers and designers to build your new hire process apps and database from scratch.

This gets even more expensive as "from scratch" means you won't use any ready to use database like MySQL in spite of it's no cost and in use by millions.

So I think you need a system architect, then a team for the database backend then another team for the app the HR users will see.

Maybe you didn't really mean what you asked but in the USA I'd peg such a system if you want it to be on par with what you get off the shelf today to be in the 100 Million buck development range.

Figure at least a year or two.
Bob

Collapse -
Advice: Software/Database
by Gstewey / August 1, 2013 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Scary!

Thank you Bob,

I appreciate your response. I did not ask my question correctly perhaps.

I need to develop a tool that combs several different sources for getting new user's setup in a network environment. This system would identify that active directory is setup, share security permissions are setup and verified and that hardware has been deployed by internal deskside teams. Our HR departments would submit a form to start the process. Once the ID is created and available this "system" would alert other areas such as security and asset management teams that their work is still needed. As each team member completes their portions of the process it updates collectively "somewhere" where this information is shared and available to the hiring manager. All of this is needed to ensure that our process are getting done that the appropriate home drive locations, permissions, email address and many other aspects of getting a machine in the hands of a new hire are done accordingly. Hope what I've just said explains the difficult task. I'm just looking for suggestions or what technologies would best be used to outline this project.

Collapse -
Let's start with how such is created.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2013 4:42 AM PDT

Let's get back to that class we all took years ago about system design. You first would have some mockup of said system. Even if it was all paper or form based and then to move to a software system you would get a system design leader to pull together the team of folk that have the skills to create this system.

Automation of existing procedures is always a lot of fun and a big change for us today is that such is more web based than app based. But only the unseasoned would dismiss apps altogether.

Still sounds like a multiple person effort with a team leader or architect and a rather thick document detailing the process to be automated.
Bob

Collapse -
Software solution with workflow and doc management
by docmgtcon / June 25, 2014 7:01 AM PDT

I have a Document Management solution that features an integrated set of tools that lets you scan, index, search, secure and share documents and keep an audit trail.

Using the optional workflow feature, you can route documents electronically to help you automate your business processes. It also allows repository queries from your smartphone or tablet, and full functionality from it's web client.

I look forward to hearing back from you to get you some more info and setup an online demo of the solution.

Collapse -
Sharepoint is a good tool for
by orlbuckeye / August 7, 2014 5:07 AM PDT

workflow which will help with the process flow. We use a product called Sigma which is used for applicant tracking which is pre-employment tracking. Once the employees are hired all that stuff happens in our HRMS System called Workday.

Now Sigma was purchased by Neogov and they have HRMS systems so you may want to look at them and see if they meet your needs and price range.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.