Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Advice on Virus Protection

by f15e / January 5, 2005 9:29 AM PST

And no I'm not talking about STD's.

What is the best Virus Protection package/Company out there? I am looking for something that has more than just virus protection. Maybe something w/ spam blocking, popup blocking, etc......

So what's your opinion?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on Virus Protection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on Virus Protection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG Free
by Yew / January 5, 2005 10:55 AM PST

IMO, one of the best there is. Free, light on resources, updated daily most of the time. Of course all it does is virus protection, since I don't tend to like all-in-one solutions. Greater chance of something going wrong and taking something else out with it.

For spam blocking, I'd probably look to Mozilla Thunderbird with it's adaptive spam filter. Not quite the same as blocking, but still quite effective at getting rid of spam. If you disable JavaScript, cookies, plugins, loading of remote images and limit the HTML in Thunderbird, you can make significant inroads to making yourself invisible to spammers. And popup blocking can be handled nicely by Mozilla Firefox, not to mention making spyware removal programs virtually unnecessary.

There's something to be said for the Unix method of one program focusing on doing a single task exceedingly well. If something goes wrong, it's easier to fix, it doesn't tend to take out any other components at the same time, it's easier to squash bugs, and you can always drop in a replacement for any one of the components at any time if something better becomes avaliable without disrupting the rest of the system. Learn from this example, because it's a big part of why Unix systems are still responsible for running the majority of the Internet.

Collapse -
If you are going to go with ...
by Echo2 / January 5, 2005 11:34 AM PST

a suite as you, I think, indicate, then Norton Internet Security may be your best option. It has a good antivirus,firewall,spam, ad and popup blocker.
I would also recommend F-Secure which has an antispyware component that is actually Ad-Aware Pro. That is what I like most about it. Ad-Aware is a well established name in the antispyware fight.
F-Secure's antivirus is made by Kaspersky, I believe, so you know that's good.
It also has an antispam feature although I don't know how effective it is-probably not as good as Norton's.
I used to recommend Zone Alarm. But ever since I discovered that Zone Labs was bought by the Israeli military subsidiary Check Point and they rewrote some of the code in some aspects of the firewall's features I have not been so sure about Zone Alarm.
Consider breaking down the various security suites and getting individual, purpose specific programs. For example, K-9 and Inboxer are both popular and effective anti spam utilities. Get an antivirus like McAfee or Kaspersky and add Sygate, Kerio or Outpost Firewall to it.
Ad-Aware, SpyBot and Spy Sweeper are excellent choices for antispyware/adware scanners.
Norton, Outpost and Zone Alarm all come with popup and ad blocking features as does Norton Antispam.
Zone Alarm has a very good email protection feature called Mailsafe which works well with Mcafee and NAV (Norton). ZA also comes equipped with a good antispyware feature.
If you are a beginner, I recommend Trend Micro's Internet Security package which has a great antivirus and user friendly firewall.The antispyware and antispam features were weak in last year's package but this year Trend Micro is saying those features are new and improved. I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.
I really would stay away from McAfee's Internet Securiy if I were you. Their antivirus and firewall are top-notch and user friendly but they somehow lost their way in designing their Internet Security suite.
Try a trial version of some of these products and let me know how you find them.
Don't forget that there are a lot of competent freeware security programs out there as well, some of which I have mentioned here.

Regards,

Collapse -
My choice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 8:02 PM PST

Do you have a firewall installed on your computer? If not, I suggest you goto http://www.zonelabs.com and download and install their free ZoneAlarm firewall. This will help protect your computer from hackers.

Also, you need an antivirus program. I suggest AVG7, a free program from http://www.grisoft.com.

And an anti-adware program. Free program is Ad-Aware SE Personal from http://www.lavasoftusa.com

And 2 spyware programs, Spybot Search and Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/

and SpywareBlaster from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Make sure your Windows Operating System, (OS), is up to date. To do this, goto Start, and click the ?Windows Update? link. Beware, if you have not been to Windows Update before, there may be a lot of critical and other updates your OS needs to download.

All of these anti-malware programs (except the firewall), need to have their virus/adware/spyware definitions updated as soon as they are installed, and then each one used to scan your computer

Do an online scan for malware every so often at http://housecall.trendmicro.com and set it to "fix all problems" and run the scan.

Don't use IE except for WIndows Updates. Instead use a different browser, eg Firefox from www.mozilla.org

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?