Laptops forum

General discussion

Advice on Sony VAIO

by apoddar / November 19, 2005 3:33 PM PST

I need a laptop for campus and i thought this would do perfectly but i am not sure i never use sony laptops in my life. i went to bestbuy and they had it on sell so i was like i really like the spec's but the only problem i have is the harddrive rpm. it is only 4500rpm. i would like to know if that is a good rpm. i would really like to know because if anyone would give me some feedback on ther past issues with sony i would appreicate. i just dont want to make a big mistake in spending $1300 on a lemon. so if u would give me some clues on about the FS742 i would find that very helpful - thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on Sony VAIO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on Sony VAIO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
would not get sony
by nerdyboy1234 / November 20, 2005 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Advice on Sony VAIO

due to the "rootkit" thing right now. also had some bad support problems.

look into the dv4000 at hp.com
or i would suggest the toshiba m45 s359 which features a 2.0ghz pentium m, 1gb of ram, 80 (or was it 100) gb 5400rpm sata hd, win. xp home, etc.

Collapse -
stay away
by 0wnz / November 20, 2005 2:20 AM PST

The sony looks nice at first glance, but the 4200 rpm HD really brings things down. I am using a 5400 rpm hd right now, and even that can seem slow sometimes (as compared to my 7200 rpm hd in my desktop). Also, Sony laptops tends to fail easily and tech support is barely existant. If you really like the look of the Sony, then take a look at this z66a:

http://www.avadirect.com/product_details_configurator.asp?PRID=5439

hope I helped

Collapse -
Who are they?
by sacoca / November 21, 2005 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: stay away

Who are these people (aka Ava Direct)? Has anyone dealt with them? Can anyone comment on their build, etc.

Thanks!

Collapse -
I wouldn't
by joecanada / November 21, 2005 9:55 PM PST

Not sure about the rpm issue, but if you're buying it for campus, I would look at something more sturdy.

I have the FS550 and within a month or two had two big black spots (one an inch or so big) on the lcd screen. Sony refused service, claiming I had damaged it. I was extrememly (as in obsessively) careful with it, so either a) there's an intrinsic flaw in the screen design or b) these laptops are so fragile as to be unportable. Either way, if it's to be for campus, you'd be best to look at something else.

Joe

Collapse -
been a sony user in the past
by Qosmio / November 22, 2005 4:50 AM PST

and i will never buy another one.a pretty notebook f,sure yet it lacks a sturdy build as well as a true teck support.the customer comes last in sony land

Collapse -
DRM rootkits preinstalled
by Nooorm / November 22, 2005 5:27 AM PST

So you don't have to buy one of their CD to install the unwanted code on your machine. :^D

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.