TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Advice on Picture Quality vs. Resolution (LCD vs. Plasma)

by eschey / April 2, 2006 2:20 PM PDT

I am looking into purchasing a new HDTV in a few months but am still having trouble picking between 37" plasma and LCD models and am looking from some advice.

We use our TV mostly for watching DVDs and the DVD player we got last Christmas upconverts to 720p or 1080i, which leads to my dilemma. Both the LCD and plasma models are roughly the same price, but the plasma is only capable of 720p while the LCD can go up to 1080i.

I am leaning toward the plasma because after watching both the LCD and plasma side by side in the store, I like the true back the plasma can achieve, and there is a little less motion blur while watching sports, plus the picture on the plasma appeared slightly better. So my last issue is if the higher resolution of the LCD would compensate for its other short comings?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on Picture Quality vs. Resolution (LCD vs. Plasma)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on Picture Quality vs. Resolution (LCD vs. Plasma)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1080i IS NOT HIGHER
by BONSPEED / April 2, 2006 3:58 PM PDT

the difference between "interlace" and "progressive" is not the amount of resolution rather the how its displayed. cnet's hdtv world site can you the techincal definition of the two. 1080i will give you a clearer still/slow pictures while 720p will give a smoother fast moving picture. in either case, picture quality is very high and the difference can be very slight. if movies and sport watching are your main interests, the plasma will be the better choice.

Collapse -
no...
by hormeltom / April 3, 2006 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: 1080i IS NOT HIGHER

What are you saying??

1080 is 1920 x 1080 lines of resolution

720 is 1280 x 720 lines of resolution (not taking into account the mothod of display; interlaced or progressive)

1080i/p IS HIGHER RESOLUTION than 720p. The 2nd post to the orginal is INCORRECT.

In terms of the original question, 1080i will be higher resolution than 720p but 720p will give you a more smooth picture especially for sports. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
HERE WE GO AGAIN
by BONSPEED / April 3, 2006 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: no...

''not taking into account of the method of display; interlace or progressive'', the method of display is the key.720p is made of 720 lines of resolution display on-screen per frame every 1/30th second.1080i is ''comprise'' of 1080 lines of resolution, but the interlace method will only display half or every other (540) line of resolution per frame every 1/60th second. 1080p is an advance version of 720p. it is not the same as 1080i and is not yet widely available.either format will provide an excellant picture. however, going back to your original question, a plasma is capable of displaying richer and deeper colors then a lcd.

Collapse -
by hormeltom / April 3, 2006 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: HERE WE GO AGAIN

That little tid bit I forgot about Sad sorry...ignore me today

Collapse -
Resolution and display rate question?
by Dan Filice / April 3, 2006 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: ....

I see 60" TV's that are 1368X768 lines and I see 60" TVs that are 1920X1080 lines. Is is possible to have a 1920X1080 TV rated at 720p? Is is possible to have a 1368X768 TV rated at 1080i? If both a 23" and a 60" TV have equal 1368X768 lines of resolution, doesn't logic seem to suggest that the smaller TV will have a sharper picture since 768 line don't need to fill such a large screen? If I had a huge 60" or larger screen, it seems like I'd want a TV that is 1920X1080 lines of resolution but with a display rate of 720p (or 1080p if that ever arrives).

Collapse -
logic 0_0............its just a number game
by masterying01 / April 3, 2006 1:43 PM PDT

usually, a car with 300 horsepower should beat a car with 210 horsepower.

a 13 megapixel camera will always take better pictures then a 8 digital camera.

a 3.2ghz processor (example: pentium 4) will always be faster then a 2.4ghz (amd 3200+)

a 1000watts surround sound system for $600 will sound better then a 600watt system for $600.

another words, wayyyy too many people get caught up in the number game. much more goes into it. if its just as easy as a number game, stewart would have wasted all his money. >:)

Collapse -
ANOTHER STUPID STEWART POST
by stewart norrie / April 4, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

Ok I'am watching t.n.t. in 780 rite the picture looks nice ok, then I switch to Discovery h.d. theater rite and the picture looks like 70m.m. film jawdropping. a world of difference or mabey I'am blind So in my feeble mind I would say there is a world of difference between 780 and 1080I Anyway another month of rain here I will slowly sink into the mud stewart

Collapse -
Source material makes the difference
by Dan Filice / April 4, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

Stewart,

What you see on TNT is material that orginated in 480, then it was up-converted to "HD". So, it's not true HD. 99% of what you see on DiscoverHD originated in HD, whether 720 or 1080. Having source material in true HD makes all the difference.

Collapse -
NATIVE RESOLUTION
by BONSPEED / April 4, 2006 7:35 AM PDT

fixed pixel displays are limited to one native resolution and will convert any incoming signal regardless how it was broadcasted. in the end, the quality of the source will make the biggest difference rather then the format. nfl games on espn is far superior then fox despite that both networks are broadcasting in 720p.

Collapse -
What Drives Me Nuts....
by Psych Doc / April 5, 2006 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: NATIVE RESOLUTION

...Is when broadcasters take a low resolution or SD program and broadcast it in HD on one of their propietary "HD" channels.

Total rip off.

Collapse -
SD on HD channels
by Dan Filice / April 5, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

Unfortunately, I think this is the way it will be for the majority of stations that have a separate HD channel, like TNT and many local stations. This is due in part because of all the programming material that already existed before HD production. On the other hand, many sitcoms and other new TV shows are being shot HD and a SD version is extracted for non-HD channels. On the proprietary HD channels like DiscoveryHD and HDNET, 99% of their programming is specifically shot in HD. Some "regular programming" that appears on these channels (like American Chopper)is shot and broadcast in true HD but also appears in SD on the regular Discovery Channel. I would be curious to know what HBO-HD does for their movies, meaning whether they simply go through the steps of up-resing an existing SD movie to HD or if someone actually goes through the expense of re-transferring the theatrical film to HD. I would assume it's the first scenario since re-transferring film would be very expensive, but maybe the studios are systematically taking their movie inventory on film and re-transferring them to HD and making them available to anyone who wants to buy the right to show the HD film. That's the one good thing about film...it's very high resolution and it can be transferred to any format for todays technology.

Collapse -
Moving pictures....
by bigec2002 / April 8, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

One aspect to think about is looking at scenes filmed at high rates of speed like the ones in sporting events. Some lcd's have issues in the way they display the actual scene throughout the movement i.e when a basketball player is shot at close up in a dunk scene and his arms are moving at a high rate of speed. Specifically these displays have trouble keeping up with the rate at which the scene moves, particularly if its a big set (50 inch of larger) and the effect is NOTICEABLE. I know from experience. For fast moving scenes in HD movies it is hardly noticeable but for sports it is more pronounced. This is a non issue in plasmas. Caveat emptor!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.