Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Advice on news reporting bias please

by Mosonnow / September 4, 2005 5:57 AM PDT

Hi Folks

You were kind enough to advise me once before as to the "pro and against Bush" news outlets. In an effort to get a balanced view following Katrina, could someone list for me a couple of each, available via the Net.

Many thanks
Mo (UK)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on news reporting bias please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on news reporting bias please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any chance of a reply please?
by Mosonnow / September 4, 2005 6:38 AM PDT

I don't think I am asking for anything which is not common knowledge already, even if not to me. One reply will be a sufficient indication - I am not seeking to start a discussion; I ask only because I can't now find your earlier replies (about 18 months ago?) re CNN ABC, Fox, Washington Post, NY Times (as the main outlets?).

Thank you
Mo

Collapse -
Hope these help
by Angeline Booher / September 4, 2005 7:22 AM PDT

I have been following the coverage on CNN, which is available in the UK.

It has a web site at www.cnn.com.

All of the broadcast networks have web sites. www.foxnews.com, www.abcnews.com, www.nbcnews.com, www.cbsnews.com.

In my opinion, it has shown conditions and happenings at their worse, has shown interviews with officials in charge of the efforts, and also with critics of the response time. The reporters asked the questions I think most of us would ask. Though CNN is accused by some to be "biased", I do not find it so.

All of the major US newspapers are on line. Some of them require "subscribing" before they can be read, but that is free. So you can check out those with which you may be familiar.

There are "blogs" by individuals that have a high popularity, but I do not read them.

"Bias" is in the eye of the beholder, and is mostly determined by political views. I do believe that any of the above legitimate sources will have honest Katrina. The difference would be in the print media editorials and opinion pieces.

I heard of the criticisms made of us by the media overseas. I would appreciate it if you would remind people in the UK that this storm attacked an area as large as all of Great Britain. Also that the water has not receded as it did after the tsunami. It's still there. The storm surge on the Gulf Coast was as high as 30 feet.

I hope this helps, Mo.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Thank you...
by Mosonnow / September 4, 2005 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Hope these help

Dear Angeline

Thank you. It is hard to pick and choose from the media since "top stories" tend to reported, if you see what I mean.

The disaster area being the size of Great Britain, it is quite impossible to say what on earth "we" would have done. After our terrorist attacks in July, localised prevention measures have taken centre stage (with the concomitant expected debate) but rather different from acts of nature which have no boundaries.

Dear JVega

Thank you for replying also. IIRC you had relocated. and I hope you are well.

Thanks again and my best regards
Mo

Collapse -
I've been flipping between...
by J. Vega / September 4, 2005 8:11 AM PDT

I've been flipping between CNN and Fox. CNN is showing a lot of footage that they showed last night. Fox in doing live interviews, one that is causing me to stop flipping. They got in telco contact with a woman in a house in the flooded area- Florida something. She didn't want to leave and had a day or two of water supply left. They talked her into agreeing to leave and got her address. Later they reported that they dot their hands on a boat and went out to get her. They've got her now, and I don't want to miss them putting her on camera.

Collapse -
news
by marinetbryant / September 4, 2005 9:26 AM PDT

I tend to watch Fox, until Hero-aldo comes on.

Collapse -
Hey Mo! Good to see you back, lady!
by xerpor / September 4, 2005 11:46 AM PDT
Happy
Collapse -
Welcome back!
by Bill Osler / September 4, 2005 12:05 PM PDT

I took a bit of a break myself for a few months.
Glad you've decided to drop in again.
I can't help much with decoding the various biases of the news organizations, but it looks like others are offering some of that information.

Collapse -
I listen to Fox, mostly. However...........
by lylesg / September 4, 2005 12:51 PM PDT

Fox news is no different than the others in that they are digging for the hottest-eyebrow raising stories they can find to report back to the viewers. There's no doubt that the official hind site (could've, should've, would've) will be 20/20. But, I personally feel that our volunteer organizations, gov. organizations , etc. are doing the very best they know how to do at the present time. I also feel that the acts of violence being committed in N.O. are by a very small group of degenerate human animals. There must be many thousands of heroic citizens for every low life criminal, but the media puts the bad before the good because it sells, I guess. The citizens of that area are respectable, caring and honorable US citizens and the heinous acts of a few should not reflect badly on the good.

The true tragedy is the loss of lives. Second would be the fact that so many now have only the shirts on their backs after a life time of building a home for their families. But, they are part of a caring and loving people here in the US and they will not be over looked by their fellow citizens.

Now, as an UK citizen and unbiased I suppose, If you would care to share, I would like to hear your objective take on what you have seen of this terrible tragedy in regard to the people of N.O. as well as how rescue efforts are being executed.

BTW, nice to meet you/see your posts again. Happy

Collapse -
Here is my opinion to share, mojo
by Angeline Booher / September 5, 2005 2:32 AM PDT

First, I'll give you a tad of my background that colors my thinking.

My brother and a brother-in-law served as doctors in Korea and 'Nam. my daughter is an active duty RN who has set up MASH units. Through their reports I have a little bit of understanding of the logistics involved re: the military.

Earlier in my RN career I had experience in several emergency rooms and one trauma center. Thus I have a bit more understanding of what it takes to provide massive care in times of crisis. Triage takes time. There are no perfect plans.

Lastly, I have lived long enough to recall many disasters, both domestic and foreign, so know there have always been glitches, mistakes, errors, bad decisions, and blame-placing.

Personally, I trust General Honore's assessment of the issues due to his experience.

I understand the anger expressed. I know I can get upset if a taxi doesn't show up on time.

I want to be wrong, but if a mistake is made by shooting an innocent civilian, or any other such calamity occurs, lawsuits will be filed. With the constant and massive efforts underway, military machines can break down. Every time anything like this happens, there will be cries of "Why?" (Because machines break down - that's why!)

The folks overseas who are railing against our "inefficiencies" have got to understand that the area of damage encompasses the size of Great Britain.

I don't believe that a forced evacuation would have made much difference. It would have been nice had the nursing homes, hospitals, and other such facilities could have been emptied. It would have been nice if those families that had old folks would have gotten them out. It would have been nice if no tourists had been allowed to remain a week before. Lots of things would have been nice.

I resent the charges that race was involved.

To summarize, I think everyone is doing a Herculean job, that all is going remarkably well considering this is the most wide=spread catastrophe to hit our country. it is easy for those not in the hot seat to second guess. IMO, those that do so don't have the character to have done better,

The re-building of the lives of those people, the stress put on the cities and towns that opened their hearts, and the impact on our national economy are the stories of the future.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
You're on target, Angeline.
by lylesg / September 9, 2005 1:24 PM PDT
Triage takes time. There are no perfect plans

I am an ex-firefighter and emt and I understand the there are no perfect plans statement. In a triage situation the mind goes into automatic response with training and experience leading the way. At the beginning of any day my prayer was that it all turn out right at the end of the day.

I also think that our rescue organizations performed as well as could be expected under the circumstances. Hind sight is always 20/20, but I am sure that every person involved with rescue efforts understands that the safety and rescue of all concerned was foremost.
Unfortunately, some with a political a agenda will say differently and it's friggin' pathetic how low a select few will stoop to gain notoriety. Racial ?--Only the ones singing that word are seeing color. The rest of the country is hearing the voices of those suffering and crying for help and from California, to Georgia, folks are responding to those in need.
Collapse -
First, thank you...
by Mosonnow / September 4, 2005 9:28 PM PDT

... for your help and also kind remarks towards me. I can't really comment on a UK stance since we are subject to media interpretation also - hence my original post.

The view of ordinary people, as far as I am competent to say, is overwhelming sadness at the loss of life, together with sadness at the distressed circumstances of the many many others. The perceived lack of an emergency plan and the focus of recovery efforts is generally being questioned as you might expect.

I'm not sure how many (what proportion of people) have religious afterlife beliefs as we are very multicultural for a small nation, though it is probably not surprising that many consider it a waste of life (our three score years and ten), some adding ''unnecessary'' to that.

Again, the emphasis is on the ''authorities'', we innately believing that people of themselves will be pulling together, even though there is little footage being shown of the upside of people, which in my opinion would re-direct attention back to people instead of politics. Oh well, Sigh.

As regards to me personally, I don't have a lot of time these days, so might only pop in occasionally, but do regard the Forum with respect for views across The Pond.

Best wishes
Mo

Collapse -
Hmmmmmmm.......?
by lylesg / September 4, 2005 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: First, thank you...

As always, I get an occasional post in here at the forum, too. I also remember laughing very hard at some of your humor. I?m glad to see you again. Happy

As I was reading your post something hit me. I bet you recently had a birthday and if so, happy (belated) birthday. The reason I say that is because not so long ago Cindy, wished me a happy birthday. I told her thanks, but that she was a bit early with her gesture and to not age me (my birthday is today in-fact.) She replied that she had marked her calendar ?Mo?s birthday? (she and I sometimes play the same music trivia game and many there call me Mo) and I bet that it was your name she had the star beside? Happy

This evening, I board a plane for California, but it?s a business trip and not a birthday get away. Shucks! I?ll try and squeeze in a bit of fun while I?m out there anyhow. Happy

Have a good week.

Collapse -
David Bowie proved wrong...
by Mosonnow / September 5, 2005 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmmmmmm.......?

''The chances of anyone coming from Mars are a million to one, but still they come!'' In other words, I think it's very unlikely that Cindy would have a star next to my name - I never was a star and probably never will be; I suppose there's time yet, but tempus doesn't half fugit...

So, enjoy your trip and happy birthday to you - also to the true star, whosoever you might be.

Cindy, my regards to you also Happy

Bye now
Mo

Collapse -
Hi Mo,
by Cindi Haynes / September 5, 2005 2:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yep! Another year older and deeper in debt
by Mosonnow / September 5, 2005 7:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mo,

Hi Cindi

You mean I'm a star after all and David Bowie was right after all? Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs! Then again, being a sceptic, there are many Mo's - I have two men and one woman as immediate neighbours also called Mo - Tsk! common as muck after all LOL.

(Thanks Cindi, Angeline and Mary Kay.)

On a different note, our annual Notting Hill Carnival went off again as planned, albeit with almost (well not quite) as many police as attendees, which in my own sweet way is a kind of comparison with New Orleans. I'm wondering how that area will be rebuilt so as to retain its cultural and historic identity?
Clearly "you can't run before you can walk", and the task of getting there is going to be no picnic.

Kind regards
Mo

Collapse -
Hi Mo.......
by Rolway / September 5, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

Doggone, that is you isn't it. Long time no see.

I really do not have anything more to offer regarding your post, and hope you don't mind me drifting off the subject a little here, cause I just wanted to say Hello and send you a picture of the greatgranddaughter that you were so kind to make those Booties for last year.:) Jayme Lee is going to be a year old next month, imagine that....And it will be party time again. Her first birthday and the Red Sox winning the World Series Again. Shes a Sox fan for sure.

This was taken last month.
http://images.uploadyourimages.com/677529jayme_july05.jpg

This was at Christmas time.
http://images.uploadyourimages.com/105808jayme_dec_04.jpg

Stay well and happy to see you posting on here again Mo. Happy

George

Collapse -
Wotcha!
by Mosonnow / September 5, 2005 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mo.......

Hello Old Bean Wink

Many thanks for the Kodak Moments - Jayme Lee is gorgeous and almost one year already! Are they taken on a ''point and shoot'' camera or have you fallen into the digital camera trap? My son was lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks in Vancouver in August and came back with 500 piccies to sort through - eek! - so over a year I suspect it must be a full time job for you... though I doubt you'd be complaining Happy

I'm grateful for the replies already received re my request for info. The matter is still very high-profile here at the moment, though I suspect it will go from our front pages very much sooner than the time (several months suggested) that it will take to recover.

This especially so, since election issues here will gain ground very quickly, since prospective leaders of our Conservative (Tory) Party (currently in Opposition) have now ''thrown their caps into the ring'', the caretaker incumbent, Michael Howard, having already said that he will be stepping down before the next election. Also, the wisdom or otherwise of a ''flat tax'', as already existing in some European countries, is receiving much attention.

I hope you are keeping well - I'm sure you will have built up big arm muscles from all that cuddling, which could come in very useful if flinging from this New Zealand site:

http://www.dominospizza.co.nz/asp/home/default.asp

If Jayme Lee is a Sox fan, what can I say but ''Cheers!"

Best
Mo

Collapse -
Happy to hear from you Mo...
by Rolway / September 6, 2005 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Wotcha!

Glad you liked the Pics. She seems to be getting a little chubby. Too much pizza i think. They were from the ''point and shoot'' camera. Scanned them to the hard drive and picked them up from there. I do have a digital camera I bought one day on a close out deal from Micro Center for $59.95 But boy does it ever eat up batteries. I use it on occasion, but its not that great indoors. Outside is real good.

Enjoyed that Domino's Pizza New Zealand link. Can't believe they like that stuff down there. I do not care for pizza no matter who makes it.. Every time that Pizza delivery car is in the area, I think of you and keep an eye on the car, hoping your agents aren't after me again. Heh, heh.

But wait till you hear this. Ever Hear of Godfathers Pizza?..
I was visiting with the grand kids Sunday and my grandson said...Lets go get some Godfathers Pizza, Gramps. I said WHAT, Godfathers Pizza? Are you joshing me kid?. My grandson said, no Gramps. Domino's closed up and moved out.. Godfather Pizza moved in. Swell, I thought. This does not sound too good to me. I hope this is not like that Japanese restaurant you took me to last year and the chef squirted that fake ketchup at me. Anyway, did you know Pizza causes acne and pimples all over your face. Heh, Heh. The Granddaughter jumped up and yelled. That settles it, we go to MacDonalds. So off to MacDonalds we went. Fine with me, I do not care for Pizza anyway. Grin

Yep, Godfathers Pizza is a legit Pizza chain. Makes a mean Pizza too. My grandson has connections with these people so take heed yo all. Devil

http://www.godfathers.com/

Well good luck Mo and stay healthy. Cherrio, Ta Ta, and all that blimey good stuff. Wink

George

Collapse -
It's OK, I've called them off...
by Mosonnow / September 6, 2005 5:11 AM PDT

...like fast. Didn't know they were up against the "heavies" - i.e. more cheese, more toppings etc. For the record, I always loved Marlon Brando.

Ciao for now - nice talking with you again.

Mo

Collapse -
here's your rule of thumb
by Rick S / September 9, 2005 1:51 PM PDT

if they say anything critical of President Bush they are dirty rotten liberals or dirty rotten democrats.

If they say anything positive about President Bush they are dirty rotten conservatives or dirty rotten republicans.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nailed it Rick.
by Roger NC / September 10, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?