Storage forum

General discussion

Advice on new DVD burner

by chaplndave / November 26, 2004 2:57 AM PST

I am thinking about buying a new DVD burner. I have read the reviews on the Plextor PX-708A and PX-712A and like what I see. I have also looked at the Sony DRU-510A. Is double layer DVD technology far enough along to purchase one of those instead of the single layer Plextors? If you like double layer, can you suggest a good burner and reasons for choosing this one? If you think I should stick with single layer, which burner and why? Thanks for your help. chaplndave

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on new DVD burner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on new DVD burner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Advice on new DVD burner
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 2:59 AM PST

Don't listen to me. I just pay 35 to 79 bucks at computergeeks dot com and the office has a variety of 4 to 12X DVD recorders.

As the office and home has been putting these instead of CDRW drives for many many months, I consider such to be a commodity and would have to be really impressed to go over 99 bucks.

Tip: Get an unit with bundled software.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Advice on new DVD burner Single v.s. Dual Layering?
by NavyDoc / November 26, 2004 3:11 AM PST

What's the difference and / or advange of this new dual layer technology that every one is talking about?

Collapse -
Dual layer is over 8G DVD, Single is 4.7GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 3:14 AM PST

But media costs are higher for dual layer.

It all depends on what you want to do.

But again, a dual layer drive can record on single layer media and ... is still under 99 bucks where I shop.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Advice on new DVD burner Single v.s. Dual Layering?
by chaplndave / November 26, 2004 3:15 AM PST

To NavyDoc from Navy Chaplain...in the reading that I have been doing the double layers will write...at two layers in the DVD disk which allows you to write twice as much to the DVD disk as single layer drives. From what I have read double layer drives are just now coming out on the market, but there are not many/any double layer disks for sale yet. Still a pretty new technology. Hopefully they have standardized the format before too many companies put burners/disks on the market.

Collapse -
Not a new technology. What has changed is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 3:19 AM PST

That it's now firmly in the commodity market and the price has fallen from hundreds of dollars to under 99 bucks if you shop around.

Bob

Collapse -
$99 and a $20.00 rebate
by wjmyles2004 / December 23, 2004 11:00 PM PST

Just purchased a DVDRW 1XDual Internal from Office Max for $99.00; and it comes with a $20.00 rebate to reduce my net cost to only $59.00. What a bargain?? Installed it and it is working fine. Note: it runs more better as a "master drive, not slave".

Collapse -
Correction to earlier message
by wjmyles2004 / December 23, 2004 11:04 PM PST

Should have read DVDRW 16XDual; not 1X

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?