Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Advice on new Computer Build

by inigma.cnet / March 5, 2010 2:46 PM PST

I am going to build a new computer and wanted some advice to see if all these parts are compatibly with each other and if this is a good build for a 1000 dollars gaming PC. Thanks in advance!

Asus P7P55D EVO Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, Core i5, 2133MHz, DDR3, sli and crossfire, RAID
Intel Core i5 750 BX80605I5750 Processor - 2.66GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield
Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler - 120mm Fan, Copper Cold Plate, Aluminum Radiator, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, AM2/AM3
Corsair PC12800 RAM - 4GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, Core i5, Dual Channel, Class 9
Sparkle SXT2201024S3-NM GeForce GT 220 Video Card - 1024MB DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0, DVI, HDMI, VGA
Aspire 600W DarkSide Alum Black PSU - Blue Sleeves
Western Digital WD3200AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 3.5", 320GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA
NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case - Clear Sides, Front USB, eSATA Ports
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on new Computer Build
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on new Computer Build
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this serious or casual gaming ?
by VAPCMD / March 6, 2010 5:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Mostly Casual Gaming
by inigma.cnet / March 6, 2010 10:05 AM PST

I Play a lot of WOW but that is about it, as far as PC gaming is concerned. Although I did want the ability to be able to grow the PC in case I decide to start playing other more serious games on my PC. For now it is just WOW mainly. I take it I should change the PSU, and by the way I am shopping for better GPU'S at the moment. Not gonna use the one listed. Any advice on if this is a compatible and ok build would be appreciated. TY in advance for the help.

Collapse -
PSU Questions
by inigma.cnet / March 6, 2010 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: Mostly Casual Gaming

Is it better to have a single 12v power supply. Also should I look for something with 8 pins on the GPU power connector or is 6 ok?

Collapse -
RE possible PSUs
by VAPCMD / March 6, 2010 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: Mostly Casual Gaming
Collapse -
Revised Computer Build
by inigma.cnet / March 6, 2010 1:49 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: Revised build
by VAPCMD / March 7, 2010 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Revised Computer Build

Are the items you picked compatible...yes. Are they all the best bang for the buck ... not in my opinion or the product reviews I read.

Here's a couple of ASUS MBs from the same MB series but they both have SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0. The ASUS MB offered by TigerDirect does not have USB 3.0 ports or the SATA 6Gbps... these appear to be only on the '-E Series' ASUS MBs .

ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $139.99 free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $189.99 plus 8.00 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131621

How is the Thermaltake Spin Q better than this CPU HS Fan (link below) ...

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2233 ... overall rating 97

Here's the review of the Thermaltake Spin Q ...overall rating 78
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2363

Re the PSU ... what about the one you picked is worth $40 more than the one I recommended previously ? Or the second one below ... more wattage and still $20 less expensive after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
Corsair 650W free shipping $70 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
Corsair 750W free shipping $90 after rebate

And with what you save above you could DOUBLE the disk space and have a longer warranty ....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319

Let us know what you end up with and how it works.

VAPCMD

PS..My recommendations are based on reading independent and product buyer reviews, plus actual ownership and use. I have several of the Corsair PSUs, several of Xigmatek CPU HS fans with the mounting kits and same with the WD 'Caviar Black Series HDDs'. Most of my MBs are from Gigabyte and USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps weren't out yet.

Collapse -
Computer Build
by inigma.cnet / March 7, 2010 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Revised build

I am fine with the CPU cooler and the HDD mainly because of price. I am already over budget by about 200 bucks. The power supply I chose was mainly because it was modular and I dont want a messy case. I spent about an hour looking at all the links you left me. Thank you very much for taking the time to link them for me. Btw do you think the ram i am running is good enough? ty for your time.

Collapse -
see this guide
by ramarc / March 7, 2010 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Build
Collapse -
Re the RAM...regrets.
by VAPCMD / March 7, 2010 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Computer Build

No point me researching further as advice and recommendations on all components ... better cheaper PSU, more up to date MB, better HS Fan and faster HDD ... all ignored. The question is why ask if you're not taking the advice ?

Good Luck

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Advice
by inigma.cnet / March 8, 2010 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re the RAM...regrets.

Well i actually did take some of your advice. I chose the ASUS p7p55d-e series pro with the sata 6gb and the usb 3.0 also went with the first PSU you suggested too. Gave up on that whole modular thing and went with a little more power for less price. Cant beat that! Well ty.

Collapse -
Advice P.S.
by inigma.cnet / March 8, 2010 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Advice

Almost forgot to mention I nixed that CPU cooler and went with one from the site u link. ty again.

Collapse -
Good to hear you're taking advantage of the advice
by VAPCMD / March 9, 2010 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: New Ram

and many years of first hand PC experience. Let us know how it turns out and remember to do the system pretest on a piece of cardboard before installing it in the case.

VAPCMD

PS...Re the RAM...looks like as good a choice as any. The only downside is the DIMM height...it can be critical when using one of the large CPU HS FAN coolers.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!