Laptops forum

General discussion

Advice on how much my laptop's worth

by dimeadeboy21 / July 8, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

Hi,

I'm a student living in New Zealand. I am thinking of selling my 5-year-old laptop, Fujitsu S6120 and trading in for a new Dell with some extra cash, but I have no idea how much I should sell it for. I'm thinking about US$500 (Tech trends here in Kiwiland are somewhat slower than in USofA)

The outer casing is in optimum condition; not a scratch or dent, no faded colour, none of the weird sticky stuff on the keyboard you find on a second-hand.

Here's the full spec:
Intel Pemtium M Processor 1.44MHz
13.3" XGA TFT-LCD Screen
40GB Hard disk (Partitioned in half)
Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Home Premium (multi-OS)
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics controller (NOT compatible with Windows Aero)

Input/Output: PCMCIA, 2*USB2.0, Infrared, Compact keyboard (no number pad), Softpad, LAN input, VGA out, CD (No DVD)

Thanks heaps!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on how much my laptop's worth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on how much my laptop's worth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info
by dimeadeboy21 / July 8, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

Me again,
I forgot to mention RAM and batteries;
It runs on 512MB, but it's shared with Graphics, so it actually doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for Vista. Runs alright, though, for some reason.
The batteries. Quite old, and the 3-cell lithium-ion goes without juice for up to 3 hours. (on Windows XP, or Vista on Power Saver plan)

Thanks again!

Collapse -
$150 - $200
by nutjob / July 12, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

If in good external condition. $200 on places like ebay if it is a name machine (dell, ibm, gateway, etc) no names are about 25% less. So expect $150.

Collapse -
Here in the US.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2007 11:31 PM PDT

That can't be 500 bucks. Last week a new dual 2 core machine with only 512MB RAM, 80GB hard disk, wifi b/g, DVD writer and Vista was 399 after rebates. And that was a new Toshiba. It kills some how low new machines are since they want to sell an old machine for more than a new one.

But for NZ you may fair better. Check your local Ebay.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by dimeadeboy21 / July 10, 2007 4:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Here in the US.

Ta much Bob,
Just to let you know, here in NZ, you'd have to pay at least US$1500 for a laptop of your description. Sometimes, it's amazing how much the difference can be, isn't it?
Now I'm crossed between buying a new laptop, or upgrading this one with some shiny new parts from Korea. I'm still very convinced about selling it, though.
I have looked up in the TradeMe (Sort of a homegrown eBay,) and seems like US$600 sounds fair for my old junk.
Tanks a lot again for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!