Desktops forum

General discussion

Advice on buying new QUIET computer

by Quiet computer / January 27, 2009 11:59 AM PST

Hi, Thanks for any advice about buying a new computer (just the CPU) under $1,000 that is, first and foremost --- QUIET.

Things I want:
- Good DVD viewing
- Good You Tube viewing
- Internet browsing
- Word Processing
- Possibly TV tuner

Things I don?t need:
- Gaming
- High-end audio-visuals

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice on buying new QUIET computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice on buying new QUIET computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CPU
by kmurda521 / January 27, 2009 1:21 PM PST

I noticed you said you are only looking for a CPU? I'm not sure if you actually mean what CPU is an abbreviation for, which would be Central Processing Unit. In case you did, then a great CPU out right now would be the Intel E5200 Dual-Core Processor. You can get it for about $75.00. It clocks in at 2.5Ghz. As far as noise goes, it's virtually silent.

Collapse -
You're right
by Quiet computer / January 27, 2009 1:56 PM PST
In reply to: CPU

Hi, thanks for making the distinction about the CPU. I should have used the term "console" or "just the computer without peripherals." I know about some quiet computers, e.g., Dell "Hybrid." And "endpcnoise" makes quiet computers.
And thanks for the info about the quiet CPU (Dual-Core). I'll add that to my list of specs.

Collapse -
So why not a laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2009 10:00 PM PST

Given the price you certainly can beat the price with almost any of the 599 buck or less machines being able to do what you listed.

However if it was my money I'd skip Vista and wait for Windows 7.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by Quiet computer / January 28, 2009 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: So why not a laptop?

Hi Bob, just briefly: i don't like laptops, and do like PCs with the separate keyboard, big screen, mouse, etc.

Tell me more about Win 7. In a brief search for reviews, there are a few beta reviews, but nothing really too substantial yet. Do you think it will be (a) as good as, or better than, XP; and/or (b) fix all the bugs / better than Vista? Thanks for any info.

Collapse -
Odd. "fix all the bugs."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Bob

Sorry, never going to happen. The market dictates you take a product to market when the bugs are below a certain threshold. You won't found bug free Windows any time soon.

But Vista feels like Microsoft's Windows ME disaster. And I did the Windows 7 beta and it's impressive. Even in beta form it seems to beat Vista on key talking points. I'd wait it out and skip Vista if you can.

And about XP. It doesn't support USB 2.0 out of the box, drives over 127GB and SATA until service packs and even then SATA can be problematic. It's age is showing.
Bob

Collapse -
Build it yerself
by repete_smile / January 28, 2009 6:45 AM PST

You can do all that for a price of around $500
*CPU: Athlon X2 BE-2350, OEM since we'll use a quieter HSF
cheap, cool and can handle all the stuff you listed
*HSF: Thermaltake A4017-01
quiet, never used it myself, but I have seen good reviews
*Mobo: Anything with 780G northbridge
this is why I chose AMD, the 780g has a Radeon HD 3200 which is one of the best IGP's out there
*RAM: 2gigs of DDR2 (any speed, recommend keeping it under 5-5-5-15 latency)
*Case: Antec Sonata III Case w/500 watt PSU
quiet case, used before and it is really good
*PSU: the one that came with the case
Hard drives, DVD drives...: choose quiet ones, can't really recommend one, there are so many

Collapse -
Hi Repete
by Quiet computer / January 28, 2009 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Build it yerself

Thanks for the great list of specs! Good idea to build it myself, but I don't feel i am up to speed on building a computer, but may take your specs to a shop in the neighborhood to see if they will do it.
One of my main concerns is having good tech support, and someone close-by could be good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.