Laptops forum

General discussion

advice on buying laptop

by usmc3187 / March 13, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

I am going to Iraq and am going to buy a laptop and would like some advice on what to get. MY top priorities are
Wifi capable, Camera and mic,
upgradable hardware for later additions,
Hi end gaming capable for all modern games and future ones as well
price range 1500-3500

now for what doesnt matter
weight i dont care i wont be carrying it everywhere and wear 60 lbs of gear all day anyways.
looks dont care if its green with pink polkadots just has too perform well
I would welcome any suggestions and ideas that meet my requirements thank you.

some specs i looked at are
intel core 2 duo 2.4g 800mh 3m L2 cache
4GB ddr2 667mhz 2 dimm
17" monitor
120 G 7200rpm sata hard drive free fall sensor
nvidia sli dual geforce 8700gt with 512mg gddr3 memory
price 2550

any suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: advice on buying laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: advice on buying laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IraQ Laptop
by 94520shatto / March 14, 2008 3:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: advice on buying laptop
by Ari Britt / March 14, 2008 11:41 PM PDT

You can't get much better than the Asus C90, it lets you choose what you build and is very fast and reliable, my version was $2000 but worth every cent.other than that there's the Toshiba Satellite series but they cost more (though they do have an HD player) and you don't get to select what you want. as is is the norm.

Collapse -
Anything but a Toshiba
by Moonlight Gambler / March 15, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

I've had four Toshibas in six years. All top machines, but only ONE lasted more than eighteen months. Toshiba may be an innovation leader, but they come last on quality control.

Also don't get a laptop that comes with the operating system on a "disk image". (Toshiba laptops come with a disk image and the only way to repair Windows is by a full re-install; which means reformatting the hard disk and installing back to factory default.
Bye bye data!)
I believe Dell, HP, and Apple come with disks that allow you to repair/replace the operating system without loss of data.

Collapse -
Anything but a Toshiba
by Ari Britt / March 16, 2008 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Anything but a Toshiba

Glad I didn't get one then, only a 'last minute decission' to go for Asus.......

Collapse -
Laptop advise, part II
by 94520shatto / March 16, 2008 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Anything but a Toshiba

My nephew bought an Acer Aspire 5520 from Wal-Mart. Cheap, powerful and doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of crap. It's got Vista Home Premium, 2G of RAM, a 160G hard drive and a DVD burner, all for $699.

As to the Tosheba....you might ask an EMT, Cop or someone who uses one the way they use it in the commercial, what they think of it. Ditto, any other laptop. Someone who has been in the sandbox might also have some good advise for you too.

Collapse -
Advice buying
by Laptop-top.com / March 16, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop advise, part II

That was nice deal shatto, but be aware, They have very bad Customer Service at Acer so if you get some problems with your laptop... watch out and be ready to chase them and to persuade them and in the end to wait a couple of weeks to get it repaired...
I think these new Toshiba models would be great for the price you mentioned = 1500-3500$ that's pretty much and you could get some Xtra machine for that money. Good luck in Iraq!

Collapse -
Exactly opposite experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop advise, part II

My acer's cd drive died and a call in have me try a few things and they fedex'd a new one the next day. Very fast service. There are those that expect support for software issues and all makers fair badly when spyware or other software issues strike. I went back and for the home have picked up 2 more laptops last and this year. All is going well.

Bob

Collapse -
Another idea
by 94520shatto / March 16, 2008 4:38 AM PDT

Seems there is no concensus, so you might just go to Consumer Reports or Google laptop comparisons. Might also try www.clarkhoward.com.

Collapse -
Let's try dell.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Another idea

Did you notice the make used in Qatar by the Army? It was a boatload of Dells and nothing special there. I can safely bet there were no 3D chipsets in the lot (power, heat issues can be had there.)

But the TOUGHBOOK is by far the right choice if you have an abusive employee.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.