General discussion

Advice on buying a new laptop

I am thinking of buying a dell studio 15.
guyz ..plz tell me if this config is appropriate for high gaming and viewing and downloading HD videos(the processing and downloading speed should be good too).also plz tell me if there is something cheaper and better.

Processor- Intel

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Advice on buying a new laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Advice on buying a new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Nice but.

Gamers are still best on desktops. Laptops are compromises but you're read all that so why not this laptop?
Bob

- Collapse -
Desktop

so culd u plz suggest a gr8 desktop with high graphics and processing speed but between 1000-1200$.thx a lot

- Collapse -
But

I also need mobility and this is probably the best config for 1200 $( if there is a cpu with better config at 1200$ plz do tell me)and plz tell me if there is any better spec for the gaming purpose

- Collapse -
That's the deal.

You have so many bucks and then all you need to do is find what they sell at that price. Then you put all that into some spreadsheet and sort on the criteria.

This changes weekly so you either repeat this every week or until you find your laptop.

Just a tip. This is a member forum with no concierge shopping service. You may get some replies but none are going to be complete or about machines that you can buy.
Bob

- Collapse -
well

sorry...am new to the site....will keep tht in mind frm now on

- Collapse -
A pretty sweet alternative

Yeah I just bought a studio 14 which is pretty similar. But I just spotted the Vostro 3400 which looks like a really nice deal http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-3400/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-3400&s=bsd&cs=04&~oid=us~en~4~vostro-3400-anav3~~ . In your case you might want to check out the 3500's. I'm not a huge expert on graphics card, but I think the two cards are pretty comparable, and I'm guessing this is a fair amount cheaper than the configuration you have. If you're worried about the RAM you should be able to buy a few sticks and upgrade it yourself. It just looked like a pretty good bargain for someone who wants an under $1000 semi-gaming laptop and I wanted to live vicariously through you folk. Happy

- Collapse -
better still
- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for the replys Bob n Jimmy. Happy

- Collapse -
HD 5470 and "high gaming."

I'm going with no here. It's a fine solution but gamers tend to push into the higher class of video solutions.
Bob

- Collapse -
Asus G51Jx
- Collapse -
Notice the bump up in GPU numbers?

From ATI 54xx to ATI 56xx models will get us moving to actual gamer machines.

I still maintain gamers are less than happy with laptops. The life span is notorious with failures aplenty in years 2 and on.
Bob

- Collapse -
laptop advice

Hi,

While the Dell is a great multi-media laptop at an affordable price, it is probably not the best for gaming. Alienware laptops, while definitely pricier, are great gaming machines. The Alienware M15x is a very powerful gaming laptop ($1499).

PC Scout is a laptop picker tool that can definitely help you narrow down your search. The best gaming laptops will have a controller symbol by their image. Here is the link to the tool: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?mode=landing#.

Good luck on your search and let me know if you have any questions!

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

- Collapse -
Thanks

that link was gr8.really helped me cut down the budget without compromising the performance.am going for an Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880.mY budget kinda increased Wink

- Collapse -
You're welcome!

I'm glad that you found the PC Scout tool helpful! I think the Toshiba is a great pick. I hope you enjoy your new laptop.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

CNET Forums