Computer Help forum

General discussion

advice on a home build

by Majere26 / October 22, 2007 3:05 PM PDT

i had an old v2 premier with a 20gb hdd, 512mb nonecc sdram, and an intel 4 1.8gb processor. The power supply had gone out on this system so the dinky 200w was replaced by a 350w with a 20+4 pin power connector. Inevitably this builds processor heatsink hold down springs snapped the retaining tabs on the hold down and i suspect it fried the processor. Since i have replaced this unit with a ibm netvista desktop unit with a 40gb hdd, 2.4 intel pentium 4 cpu, and 512mb ddr memory. The (forgot this on previous build) gforce3 ti 200 agp video card i had in the previous build has been swapped over along with the dvd rom rw. these are working fine but i noticed during the swap that this desktop unit is really cramped for room and only has a tiny 100w psu in it. Being used to my mini tower i know this small desktop will likely heat up and fry the psu, and in an attempt to prevent this, i have picked up a 7 bay (4 large drive bays and 3 smaller hdd/floppy bays) tower.
I am hoping that i can take the components from my netvista, (mobo, hdd, both dvd and cd rom drives, and video card) and swap them into the tower with a 600 watt psu. There is a difference in the pins for the psu but i believe there is a reducing adapter from 24 pin to 20 pin to fix this problem. My main concern is whether or not the new tower will
A.) support my ibm netvista mobo?
B.) can i take my v2 Premier 20gb hdd and slave it to the ibm 40gb hdd?
Both hd's have windows xp sp2 on them. I believe the 20gb has xp pro sp2 and the 40gb has xp home sp2. Would it be better to slave them together with the 40gb being the primary boot, or set the jumper on the 20gb to cs (if applicable) and attach it to the 40gb hdd?
Any advice and help is greatly appreciated. ty in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: advice on a home build
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: advice on a home build
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thoughts..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: advice on a home build

A) Will it support your other mobo? You'll need to measure the size of the attachments in the tower to verify they're the same size..

B)The hard drive that was used with the motherboard will STILL need to be set as the primary C: drive if you want it to work correctly. XP recognizes the motherboard and should remain validated. UNLESS you intend on reinstalling XP again.. If you want to do that, you can set them how ever you want.. Ideally, I would install only the primary drive first as master, then make sure the computer is running correctly, then place the slave drive in later. XP will be more likely to recognize things better than if you try to do them both at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
TY Grif
by Majere26 / October 23, 2007 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thoughts..

I went ahead and tried the build up and had a couple incompatability issues in regards with the fitting and positioning of the mobo. Inevitably i now have the 20gb hdd in my ibm netvista desktop, along with a dvd rw and a cdrw, 512mb 184 pin ddr pc2100 ram, 40gb hdd bein run as primary. The 20gb hdd initially was having issues (apparantly it HAS to be on the middle connector on the ide cable). the ibm tried bootingfrom that drive, but after powering down and attaching the cables observing a priority, the hdd's are working together very well. I have also installed a 600w psu via a reducing adapter but unfortunately had to mount it outside the desktop. ty very much for the response, your advice turned to be true.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.