Tablets forum

Question

Advice needed on buying a tablet for school

Hi,

I'm a student who will be starting med school in the fall, and I'm looking to buy a note-taking device, probably a tablet. What I really need is the capability to integrate written notes (via stylus) with text. One Note is really good at that; Evernote isn't there yet but might be soon. I'm trying to decide which tablet to buy.

I'm interested in the Surface because I know it will be One Note compatible, but it's not slated to come out until October, and I'm worried it will have a bunch of glitches at first until Microsoft works them out. I've also heard rumors that Windows 8 will limit what you can do with non-Internet Explorer browsers, which would be a dealbreaker.

I'm also considering the Asus Transformer series, but there don't seem to be any note taking programs as good as One Note, which I'm not sure will run on the Android OS. I'm also not sure if it can be as much of a "workhorse" in terms of running multiple file programs at the same time, and the keypad seems a little clunkier than the Surface.

Any advice about which tablet to get? I don't really care about gaming, camera, resolution, etc; I need something that can deal with the full MS Office spectrum (and browsing capabilities such as Firefox or Chrome). I think there are some tablet-laptop things (like Lenovo), but they seemed prohibitively big and expensive. I start school in August, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice needed on buying a tablet for school
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice needed on buying a tablet for school
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far, tablets are not for school

In reply to: Advice needed on buying a tablet for school

They lack the keyboard (Tablets often let you add that) but then you afoul of the teacher that wants a Word document with the formatting just so.

Since tablets don't do that you are back shopping for a laptop.

It appears you are not listening to those that tell you want to get for college.
Bob

Collapse -
In this case, a tablet is preferable

In reply to: So far, tablets are not for school

I actually have a laptop - I'm looking for something specifically that I can use to take notes by hand, as med school notes require a lot of drawing images. That's why I'm targeting tablets. Thanks for the response though!

Collapse -
So what you are saying is

In reply to: In this case, a tablet is preferable

You are going to learn this firsthand.

Collapse -
Answer
Galaxy Note 10.1

First the Surface RT does not include a stylus. Only the Surface Pro comes with a stylus, MS claims that will go for $800, but I'm guessing $1000 is more likely.

Your best bet is probably the soon to be released Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. Most speculation is that Samsung is just waiting for Google IO to finish to announce. All I can say is that Amazon recently accidentally setup a preorder page with a shipping date of July 30. It turns out that the page was premature and taken down by Amazon, but none of the orders were cancelled. Also details have been leaking and it looks like release will be soon.

AFAIK Android doesn't have much of a problem with multitasking. It's iPads that have the problem ( warning very little knowledge of iPads ).

You can also buy specialized digitizing stylii for the iPad ( not capacitive stylii which I suspect you are not interested in ). Two most well known are the iPen and the MyNote.

Software is a bit vague. MS has a very flakey version of OneNote which does not support inking for Android. MobileNogte aqpparently has something that comes close to OneNote and does support inkling and EverNote is adding inking. The best place to ask is in a forum the Lenovo ThinkPad tablets ( the TPT is an aging tablet with no TPT 2 being planned ). There is also Samsung built in software which some suggest is good, but until they release I can't really say.

Collapse -
Galaxy Note sounds promising

In reply to: Galaxy Note 10.1

That is a good lead, I'll check it out. Thanks!!

Collapse -
And when you do check it out.

In reply to: Galaxy Note sounds promising

Be sure to see if the apps to do what you want are there along with how to get it out of the tablet and to your PC or other documents.

It's a shame you are not taking the warning about this issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Issue?

In reply to: And when you do check it out.

Gee Bob, maybe I'm missing something, but what is your concern? Killajoule has already indicated that he has another computer at his disposal and is looking for a hand-note-taking device. While I haven't used One Note, it seems that importing and exporting is trivial. So is copying files between a tablet and a PC. Isn't it already obvious that Killajoule intends on using a tablet for taking notes, then would use his PC to do whatever post-processing, report writing, etc., that he would need to do? If a tablet creates a suitable note-taking and drawing environment nearly as good as paper (and I'm not saying that it does), then the rest is obvious. It certainly would be easier than re-typing and re-drawing one's handwritten notes from a paper pad, or scanning them in later.

Collapse -
Yes. Big one.

In reply to: Issue?

As I have encountered dozens of burned buyers thinking the usual tablets did note taking, they buy it, discover the stock apps are worthless then begin looking for better note taking apps and finally fell burned as the performance is less then they expected (by far.)

I'm only an author of handheld apps and running into those that got burned.

This is an area you need to move slowly on and get a demo and try it out BEFORE you plunk down the cash.
Bob (is there!)

Collapse -
Answer
General Advice

Ask the school what they reccomend. If there's an official or semi-official device, that'll probably work best. Or if they have certain software, make sure what you get runs it.

So first step: call the school.

Collapse -
Answer
Tablets are for school, but mostly for note taking

I have a tablet and use it for uni and so far it is rather good, much better than using pen and paper. I think the best tablet to look out for is the Google nexus because of Google play (can rad books though this).

So yea, tablets are brilliant for note taking and maybe for writing out essay drafts while on the go, but only in need be

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.