HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

Question

Advice for gaming notebook 15 inch

by YunoGasai / August 18, 2014 2:50 AM PDT

Hello guys,

so I decided to buy a new gaming notebook and wanted a 15". I configured the EUROCOM X3, so now I have these specs.:
SCREEN: 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display featuring 95% NTSC Color Gamut in Matte Finished Surface (1920 x 1080)
CPU - LAPTOP: Intel Core i7 4910MQ 2,90 - 3,90GHz; 4 Core / 8 Threads, 8MB L3 Cache, 47W
MEMORY: 16GB 1866MHz so-dimm
GPU - LAPTOP: NVIDIA GTX 880M 8GB GDDR5; 1536CUDA 256-bit Kepler
HARD DRIVE BAY 1: 256GB SSD Samsung 840PRO Sata III (R 540MB/s, W 520MB/s), 7mm
mSATA Drive 1: 250GB Samsung EVO mSATA SSD mSATA Drive 2: 250GB Samsung EVO mSATA SSD
NETWORK CARD: 2 in 1 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n Intel 7260 DUAL BAND WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo
OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

If anyone has any suggestions as to what should I change with this configuration I would be very thankful. Any other gaming notebooks that could have similar specs. come to mind? I live in Europe, so American companies like Falcon and similar are out of the question (wanna buy in Europe). Happy

Thanks a lot!

Nanami

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice for gaming notebook 15 inch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice for gaming notebook 15 inch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds very high end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 2:55 AM PDT

That's near the extreme top of what you might see crammed into such a laptop today. While all this is nice the continuing saga and tales of what happens after a year or 2 always need a repeat. That is, given the shorter life span of such a laptop, the buyer is sometimes upset at that finding. Some deny it all but the story repeats and they learn the lesson first hand.

If you are OK with a few year laptop, why not this one?
Bob

PS. And no. I've yet to see such stand up over the years, no matter which make. All of these succumb to some issue and need service.

Collapse -
Oh
by YunoGasai / August 18, 2014 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds very high end.

So in your opinion, a laptop with these specs. will have such a short life span? Why is that? I'm not really familiar with things like this so I will be thankful for any advice.

Nanami

PS What should I change about it for it to last longer?

Collapse -
by YunoGasai / August 18, 2014 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh

Is it because of the overheating? Without too much overclocking and with good care, when you clean it from dust and with good cooling system, couldn't it last more?

Collapse -
Could be that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

There is no issue with overheating from what I see but higher heat levels and such reduce the life span from plainer laptops or desktops that can deal with the heat output better.

As to your maintenance question, yes it helps but wouldn't we do that anyway? It's a big investment for most.
Bob

Collapse -
Well
by YunoGasai / August 18, 2014 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be that.

Yes true. So what do you suggest? Can I do something else to help prolong the lifespan?

Collapse -
You covered that angle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Gaming laptops are still bleeding edge things. Notice how the makers don't go past 2 year warranties? Even Apple Care seems to end at 3 years. So about 2 years for a leading edge gamer laptop seems about right.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by YunoGasai / August 18, 2014 6:35 AM PDT

Thank you very much then Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.