Computer Help forum

General discussion

Advice for building a dedicated server

by DanielCummins / July 12, 2013 8:00 AM PDT

So I have a pretty decent desktop right now that I built. I host multiple servers for multiple games such as minecraft, terraria, gary's mod, cubeworld, etc. on my computer as we speak. I'm going to college this year and I'm bringing my desktop with me. I doubt I will be allowed to port forward through my dorm's router, and I also doubt they'd let me set up my own internet and modem haha. Hosting directly from my desktop like I do will no longer be an option.

I've done some research and I was trying to decide how to go. I plan on having an SSD with 100GB+, 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, at least a 4 core cpu which I will overclock (probably Intel), not sure about the motherboard (are there any advantages to a server motherboard vs. a desktop motherboard?) or power yet. I plan to use Win 7 Home Premium since it is readily available to me, although I may end up snagging Win 7 Pro if it is very necessary. I also need a good way to reliably control the server remotely. I expect a max of about 25 people total connected to the various servers at once.

If anyone has any hardware/software suggestions, recommendations, or advice it would be much appreciated. Please do not suggest renting a server. Renting a server is not what I want to do and I am not considering it as an option. I'm trying to shoot for under $1000, and if that is too unreasonable, then a price range would be very helpful! Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advice for building a dedicated server
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advice for building a dedicated server
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've yet to find this to be a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 8:08 AM PDT

And looking at http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=SVR you see the used/refurb market to be plentiful with read servers to be had.

And all you wrote appears to be what a gamer may think of a server when servers are rarely overclocked and the real issue is the bandwidth.

Sorry but your post tells me you are new to servers. Try some cheap server but here's the biggest problem in your design -> Windows 7 Pro.

That OS has a connection limit so you would never get 25 connections. I bet you don't believe me so I'll end here with a note -> https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+pro+connection+limit

NOTE: That's usually HALF that as each user may get more than one connection.

Bob

Collapse -
Used/Refurb may not be a bad decision.
by DanielCummins / July 12, 2013 9:35 AM PDT

Buying a used one may actually be a more practical option now that you mention it.

Yes I know bandwidth is one of the main issues, the only reason I added in the part about overclocking is because I plan to use a moderately lower end cpu while still getting decent speed.

Yes this will be the first dedicated server I've worked with, and you have to start somewhere. I've always just used my desktop. However, I work for the IT department at my previous high school and I have been getting advice from the IT director and Asst. IT director who actively work with large servers.

The OS problem does not make much sense to me... I've had 27 people connected to one server without any performance issues on either side in the past. How is that possible? (The max I've ever recorded connected was 33 but there was some serious slowdown)

Thanks!

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

The inbound connection limit is something I've bumped into too many times. If you claim it doesn't exist I'll go with that!

Remember they could be using UDP which is not a connection such as TCP is. But you know all that as a server master.
Bob

Collapse -
They were all TCP
by DanielCummins / July 13, 2013 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to read.

Which is why I don't understand how it could handle that many people.

But OS and connection limit aside(I could jump some hoops to get win2K8), I'd still rather build a server myself. Why does everyone say that is a bad idea? Buying a used one would mean that it probably won't have all the specific hardware I'd want and would be less future proof, while renting one would cost much more in the long run since I plan to host servers for years to come.

Collapse -
Everyone?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: They were all TCP

I think building your own is fun but if I wanted a server for my office, since our office does not build servers (but we do know how) the issue is simply we can get more for not much outlay without wasting days building and installing. Even at half your budget you can get a true server.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Typo I meant "ready" to use servers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 10:10 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.