General discussion

Advent 7104 the death screen

Hi Guys
I think I know the answer already (BIN IT) but, I will run it past you anyway, to see if I have missed anything you Tech's might try.

I am running an Advent 7104 with XP, came already loaded. Have had no problems till this week. When re-booting one day, the death screen came up with "Unmountable boot volume". As we were away, I couldn't sort it till our return. Yesterday I managed to use a XP disk (borrowed) and sort things from the Recovery Console and run again. I got all files off I needed to an external HD and after running all the checks, decided it would be best to put back to factory state.

This morning I put on the computer and started the process to get back to factory state. I was doing a complete format because, there weren't any big programmes on and I thought it would be best after having the death screen on it before. It was about half way through and the computer just went off, no power and on re-booting yet another death screen
appeared "Session3 initialization failed"

I have tried going through the recovery via the XP disk as before and pressing F10 repeatedly and nothing works.

Am I right in thinking it may just be the Hard Disk has gone?? I have been into Bios and nothing shows that it has failed. I don't have a recovery disk and think it a waste to buy one if the HD has gone or is on it's way.

Thank you for reading this post.

Pam

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Advent 7104 the death screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Advent 7104 the death screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Looking at past discussions.
- Collapse -
Advent 7104 the death screen

Hi Bob
Thank you for your reply. I am thinking something is failing in the Lap top, as everything I try isn't a consistent outcome. Things changing all the time, if you know what I mean? My hubby has sent for a rescue disk and if that fails it will be binned. It wasn't an expensive one just gets me when something as simple as going back to factory state fails. I still keep having a go at it though, ha ha.

Again thank you Bob.

Pam

CNET Forums

Forum Info