Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Advanced Windowscare Personal 2.5? Better than OneCare?

by spadell / June 15, 2007 1:42 PM PDT

Would this be a better option thant Micro Live One Care? It has continued to give me headaches!

And would It be compatible with FireWall Windows Defender that is included in Vista HP? Have HP Pavillion m7750n Media Ctr.PC.??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advanced Windowscare Personal 2.5? Better than OneCare?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advanced Windowscare Personal 2.5? Better than OneCare?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not exactly direct competition...
by John.Wilkinson / June 15, 2007 2:13 PM PDT

Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2.5 doesn't mention anything about antivirus or a firewall in it's description, only spyware protection. It also doesn't mention the ability to backup your data. Those are some of the foundations of Windows Live OneCare, so I would not consider then competing products...Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2.5 just doesn't seem to have the security aspect to it.

Now, while Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2.5 is compatible with Windows Defender, note that OneCare has Defender integrated into it, so you would not want to install Defender on top of OneCare.

Perhaps if you detail exactly what you're looking for we can offer some suggestions?

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
RE: Windows Live One Care
by spadell / June 22, 2007 3:42 PM PDT

It seems my ISP doesn't really have any protection for their mail & suggest installing additional Virus Protection. Something about Norton Security 2007 (which I'm using) having a problem with that portion of their protection.

The ISP recommended that I use an additonal one to it & I'm worried that that is what's one of my headaches with Vonage reception. Conflicting maybe? The ISP recommends AVG http://www.grisoft.com? And or Avira AntiVirus http://www.free-av.com/

And thoughts on this? Also, does Norton have to keep poping up every time I start my PC?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Avast is the best i have used
by link48010 / June 22, 2007 5:27 PM PDT

I would actually go against your ISP and recommend Avast Antivirus. It has a mail scanner, but keep in mind that any other Antivirus usally has your uninstall your previous one (Norton would need to be uninstalled) otherwise the programs could be involved in a conflict which can cause all kind of problems like your system not booting or something bad like that. Also after switching from norton you may notice your system acting faster. the reason is because norton is basicaly a virus that whips off other viruses. constantly crawling through your system Norton uses a lot of memory where as most use less cause they only scan incoming files and will scan the whole computer when you tell it to.

Collapse -
Still trying to get out of "Vista Limbo" need Security !
by spadell / September 10, 2007 4:25 PM PDT

Well, I finally made it back. Now have m8120n Hp Media Ctr. Vista Home Prem. & the dreaded Norton Int. Sec.2007.

Killed the other PC, Hp has replace with this. And low & behold: error Visata is not comaptible with Norton, appears!

Has anyone determined what the #@XX!!to work with this?

Collapse -
A Number Of Good Antimalware Utilities Work With Vista...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 11, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

It's your choice as to which one. If you don't want Norton, uninstall it.. If you like it, try it for a while. Is you're thinking of moving to something different, as to antivirus programs, Avast was already suggested.. AVG antivirus is also another free one. Since they're both free, try one, then the other. They're both good. See which one is to your liking.. I use McAfee corporate stuff but that's not for most homeowners because of the expense and many don't like it anyway.

As to antispyware tools, Windows Defender may not be perfect but it's already installed on your Vista machine. Leave it there to see how it performs. If you want, AVG Antispyware works fine and can be installed as a standalone scanner. The newest Spybot Search & Destroy works on Vista. Likewise, there are other options to check at the Vista and "Virus & Security Alerts" forum.

Firewalls are similar.. If you want, stick with the Windows Firewall for a while and check out other free ones such as ZoneAlarm or Jetico.. (Comodo will soon be Vista compatible I hear.)

As I mentioned, check the main topics at the top of the Virus & Security Alerts forum link below and it should get you headed in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Hello, I got the solution
by link48010 / September 15, 2007 11:15 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?