Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Advanced System Care

by colinito / November 4, 2009 3:41 AM PST

Hello Everyone,

I have received an un-asked for email from CNET regarding the above programme. There are apparently two, a free one and one to pay for.

There are aparently other programmes that are available free once this programme has been downloaded (or maybe before.) I have seen their names and the one that appeals to me is 10bit Security 360 free.

I have two questions -

1. I have AVG free 9, Adaware, Spybot. The fact that this A.S.Care purports to "optimize system, fix registry free, repair and speed up my computer", I have no knowledge if this is true or if it is any better than or in conjunction with or even compatible with the three programmes that I have now.

2. The 10 bit security 360 claims to be "an advanced malware & spyware removal utility that detects, removes the deepest infections, and protects your PC from various of potential spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, bots, worms, and hijacker." I have no knowledge about these security claims. So the same question for this as above, please!

If anyone could advise me whether to obtain these or one of these programmes, bearing in mind what I have at the moment. Would I be better off or not etc?

Thank you for any input in advance.

Colin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advanced System Care
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advanced System Care
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Un-asked for email and IOBit
by Carol~ Moderator / November 4, 2009 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Advanced System Care

Colin..

Could you explain in more detali, what you mean by an "un-asked for email from CNET"?

Additionally, I would urge you to read, "IOBit Steals Malwarebytes' Intellectual Property", and then consider whether or not, you wish to install their software.

'..Malwarebytes has recently uncovered evidence that a company called IOBit based in China is stealing and incorporating our proprietary database and intellectual property into their software. We know this will sound hard to believe, because it was hard for us to believe at first too. But after an indepth investigation, we became convinced it was true. Here is how we know.
'

Personally, I would stick with what you have and steer clear of IOBit's software!

Carol

Collapse -
Un-asked for email and IOBit / Advanced System Care
by colinito / November 4, 2009 5:15 PM PST

Thank you for your reply, Carol.

Sorry I was not explicit enough. I received an email offering me the A.S.Care which was available from CNET Downloads.

I take notice of your words and will not download the programmes.

I had a big computer virus problem some time ago and came to CNET for help. I was advised what to do and how to do it, and I downloaded C.C.Cleaner; Malwarebytes; Super Anti Spyware and Hijack This. I was told how to use them, I provided their respective reports and, after my computer was "Clean" I stored them in a folder for use on a possible future occasion, as I have no idea how to analyse their reports!

So, once again, many thanks for your information Advanced System Care will not be downloaded!

I shall now close the thread and cancel the trackin of it.

Colin.

Collapse -
You're welcome, Colin
by Carol~ Moderator / November 4, 2009 11:49 PM PST

Colin..

With hopes you'll see this, despite the fact you unsubscribed to the thread...

CCleaner, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware are all excellent tools to keep and use. HijackThis logs are best analyzed, with the aid of a trained helper. If at any time, you have a problem with the first three mentioned, all you need do is ask. You will get all the help you need.

Carol

Collapse -
Un-asked for email and IOBit / Advanced System Care
by colinito / November 5, 2009 4:11 AM PST
In reply to: You're welcome, Colin

Hello Carol,

Thanks for that.

I actually forgot to click off the 'follow this thread' and so I have received your message! I shall click it off when I have posted this, so I will miss any further posts on this thread.

As I mentioned, I have kept the programmes. They are all in a folder ready to be used again when and if! That is with the exception of Hijack This, which refused to be put into a folder! So it sits beside the folder. I keep them, as I mentioned, as my knowledge is insufficient to diagnose the scan results. If I need to use them, I shall return to the forum.

With grateful thanks

Colin

Collapse -
Iobit
by davidwholt / November 5, 2009 9:23 AM PST

As noted elsewhere on CNET, is not the jury still out on Iobit?

Simply because a competitor makes accusation of wrong-doing,
are they to be written off without further review of the facts?

Seems too soon to judge and arrive at verdict in my opinion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?