HolidayBuyer's Guide

Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Advanced Search

by JP Bill / October 5, 2010 11:10 PM PDT

I don't see the "Advanced Search" Box that used to be in the black header near the top of the page.

Moved and I just can't see/find it?

Advanced Search would search (by subject or poster) posts made by Forum members.

I'm using Firefox and Vista

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Advanced Search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Advanced Search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It has been eliminated...
by John.Wilkinson / October 6, 2010 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Advanced Search

The forums search has finally be merged with the global site search. This means that we can now use the same search box, easily expand our search beyond the forums, etc. Your search terms are matched against the subject, body, and poster's username, while you can filter the results based on date and forum. Unfortunately, though, the results are for threads only, not individual posts (replies), and I've been informed that's a technical limitation that will not soon be overcome. Sad

John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by JP Bill / October 6, 2010 5:17 AM PDT

I see the Search Box with IE ...I see the problem, I have it blocked with ad blocker in Firefox.

Collapse -
ah, if only that were true...
by porsche10x / October 26, 2010 8:19 AM PDT

There's only one problem. The global site search doesn't seem to provide any of the functionality you describe, at least not reliably. I have made many, many hundreds of posts. If I search for my user name, It shows only four! Clearly, one's search terms are NOT "...matched against the subject, body, and poster's username...". I relied on this feature to keep track of my past posts, rather than clutter my inbox by tracking threads. I see that you are a moderator. I don't know if you have any direct input, but if so, please feel free to pass on a request to restore "advanced search", or at least provide a search function that provides similar features.

Collapse -
One key statement...
by John.Wilkinson / October 26, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

"Unfortunately, though, the results are for threads only, not individual posts (replies), and I've been informed that's a technical limitation that will not soon be overcome."

Therein lies the issue. A member may have hundreds or even thousands of posts, but have only started, or had his/her username mentioned in, a few thread starters (root posts). Thus, unlike with the old advanced search, you will only find a few search results.

As I noted before, this is a technical limitation of the new forums search, one that would take significant work to change. However, many of us are pushing for some form of workaround, so hopefully some changes to forum search can be fit into the rest of the overhaul.

I should also note that the forum profiles ordinarily list all posts a user has made, making it the preferred method of finding recent posts by a user if you don't need advanced search functionality. The profiles do not currently reflect the latest member posts, but an update to bring them inline with the new forums should be released soon.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
a stand alone Search product?
by James Denison / October 28, 2010 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: One key statement...

Can't you utilize such and just have it linked in the forums and it searches the same database? It wouldn't need to be inbuilt, just be able to search the same type of database the forum software uses.

Collapse -
Doubtful...
by John.Wilkinson / October 28, 2010 7:52 AM PDT

CNET has developed their own site search over the years and has finally integrated the forums into the global search. Given the work they've done, I doubt they would outsource even part of the search functionality to Google or another provider. Hopefully they can advance the new forum search to restore some of the old functionality, and perhaps add in some new as well.

In the interim, if you really need an advanced search, try Google. Google usually indexes forum posts within an hour or two of submission, and they properly extract the timestamp from posts so you can search using a custom date range. You can't actually search by poster username, but username in webpage is almost as good.

Something like:
site:forums.cnet.com "forum search" "john.wilkinson"
Then just expand "more search tools" in the left column and filter by date.

That's what I'm doing until the forum search issues are worked out.

John

Collapse -
LOL, I have used google in past to find
by James Denison / October 28, 2010 3:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Doubtful...

...post or threads removed by CNET that are still "cached" by google.

Collapse -
I see now, thanks
by porsche10x / November 1, 2010 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: One key statement...

"Unfortunately, though, the results are for threads only..."

Ah, I mistakenly interpreted that to mean that a search would return the root post for any thread that I replied to, the inconvenience being that I might have replied on page fifteen. Now I see the point. Gee, a search tool that doesn't actually search through the vast majority of the forums doesn't seem to be very well conceived.

Thanks for the tip. I see that "Community Profile" allows me to see my old posts. I just didn't read carefully enough before.

I also use Google's advanced search to search through the forums. Thanks for the added suggestion below about specifying a date range.

Collapse -
Nope, still doesn't do it
by porsche10x / November 1, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I see now, thanks

Hmmm, now that I look at it, "Community Profile" does not seem to show a complete listing of my previous posts. Either it's leaving a lot of them out, or, at the very least, it's leaving out everything I've posted in the last two months. Can it really take that long to update??

Collapse -
It's not you.
by MDFlax / November 1, 2010 5:52 AM PDT

The Engineers have this one as part of their bug overhauls. The profiles don't update with new posts but it is hoped that will be fixed soon.

Mark

Collapse -
The issue was...
by John.Wilkinson / November 1, 2010 7:22 AM PDT

When they switched the forums over, they also had to update all other parts of the site that display forum content. Unfortunately, they were unable to make non-emergency bug fixes for an extended period as they were relocating servers. Thus, a lot of bugs that would normally have been fixed are still awaiting patching. The updates are coming; we're just hoping the floodgates of repairs open soon.

John

Collapse -
if you're using FF and AdBlock
by jonah jones / October 6, 2010 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Advanced Search
Collapse -
Indeed...
by John.Wilkinson / October 6, 2010 7:02 AM PDT

Without Darth Vader, we are doomed. Wink

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.