General discussion

ADSL sharing

Hello! I am wondering what is the cheaper, more reliable and easier way to give internet connectivity to my laptop from my desktop pc which has a ADSL connection. Wi-Fi or something else? And what hardware would I need? My laptop has an ethernet port but is not wi-fi ready. Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: ADSL sharing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: ADSL sharing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Home networking...

You need a router and some ethernet cable OR a wireless router and a wireless PC card/or wireless USB unit. For my money, go wireless as it opens up access to the world when you hit the road. Also, it opens up access to your laptop anywhere in your home verses a fixed ethernet plug. Right now I'm sitting on my couch surfing the net via the router down in the basement.

When you figure the cost of running the ethernet cable, I don't think there's much of a savings going that route.

- Collapse -
thanks

Thank you very much for the advice. You helped me solve my dilemma. I will go wi-fi.

- Collapse -
ADSL Sharing

Yannis,

Might be worth bearing in mind that you can buy a wireless router which has a built in modem or simply a wireless router.
The main difference is that the router with modem built in has an input of RJ11 which means that it is directly connected to your broadband filter by an RJ11 cable (standard cable for the connection between an ADSL modem and microfilter) This means that the router is working completely independantly of any P.Cs. (you would requier a wireless adapter in both machines for this)
However, should you choose to buy the wireless router with no modem built in, it is likely to have an RJ45 input so you will find that you will have to either:
a)connect it to a modem which has an ethernet output by a standard cat5 network cable (these modems are not that common as most ISPs provide modems with RJ11 outputs)
or
b)connect the router from the Network Interface card on the machine which is joined to the modem. this means that this machine will have to be turned on in oredr to share broadband to other machines in the house.
To be honest i would spend the extra money and buy the router and modem in one as then you are not relying on one P.C for the connection of another.

Hope this Helps
Dan

- Collapse -
Some questions

Dear Dan,
it seems that you know a lot about the subject, that's why I would like to take the matter a little further. Right now I have a desktop PC and a laptop (both not wi-fi ready) and a ADSL modem connected to the desktop. I was planning to buy a PCMCIA wi-fi card for the laptop and a ADSL router/access point. My modem has one RJ-11 and one RJ-45 port. Are these products enough for the adsl sharing? I do not mind having to keep my desktop pc open in order to have internet connection with my laptop. It would be very kind of you if you could give me some ansewrs.
Thanks for your help,
Yannis

- Collapse -
Answers

Yannis,
Your modem and PCMCIA card alone would not be enough to share a wireless internet connection.
Good news that you have an RJ45 output on the modem though as this eliminates the need to power the desktop on to use the connection on the laptop.
Simply attach the RJ45 output on the modem and the RJ45 input on the ADSL router. This will give you wireless access to any device which is equipped with a wirelss card in the house. the range is usually about 1500ft (provided that the walls in you house are not excessively thick as this can affect the connection)
So simply install a PCMCIA wireless card into your laptop and this will have a wireless connection.
For the P.C you could either install a wireless USB adaptor or if you are going to have the router near the P.C it would be cheaper to connect a cat5 cable from one of the router outputs into the Network interface card on the P.C. (if you dont have one of these then they are very cheap to buy)
All of the routers that i have dealt with (mainly belkin) have had 4 wired outputs and the capability for up to 64 wireless machines.
Once this is setup fully you will be able to share both files and your internet connection across the network.
If you want a diagram of how to set this up drop me an email dancooper1000@hotmail.com
Hope this helps

Regards
Dan

CNET Forums

Forum Info