Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Adobe Reader won't install...

by aimstergal / September 24, 2011 5:35 AM PDT

I keep getting "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or ener an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi' in the box below.

aimstergal has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Reader won't install...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Reader won't install...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by aimstergal

Collapse -
Re: Adobe reader won't install
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 24, 2011 5:42 AM PDT

What happens if you go and search for that installation package 'AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi' on your hard disk?

If you can't get it to work, simply install another reader. Many members here use the one from www.foxitsoftware.com. Be sure to uncheck then checkbox that ask you to install the ask toolbar (unless, of course, that's something you want).

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Nothing happens...it can't find it. :(
by aimstergal / September 24, 2011 2:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Tried It This Way...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 26, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you!
by aimstergal / September 27, 2011 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried It This Way...

It worked. Thank you so much!

Collapse -
I tried the above link: "adbeRdr1010_en_US.msi not found"
by grollands / November 4, 2011 2:45 AM PDT

I was getting a sharing conflict between Adobe Illus 10 and Adobe Rdr 10. Files I created in Illus 10 could not be deleted or renamed because "another program is using file". I removed Adobe Rdr 10 (or tried to) using Windows "add/remove..." It didn't work because the above mentioned file is missing. I deleted all references to Adobe Acrobat 10 from registry. Registry shows Adobe Acrobat 6 (came with comuter) plus Acrobat 9.1 & 9.4, but they are inoperative. Can't remove anything. I've tried installing Acrobat 9 from Adobe PS Elements 8 disk, but get msg: "a newer version already installed". Nothing works. I've restored computer to earlier time before yesterday's attempted removals. I tried "safe mode" uninstall. Nothing works. Trying to work with Adobe help is brain damage! They want money.

Runnning W XP Pro sp3.

Any suggestions?

grollands38

Collapse -
Months passed and it can move.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2011 2:49 AM PDT

You might have to ask if folk know where it moved to or start your own new discussion.

Collapse -
Windows Install Cleanup works!
by grollands / November 5, 2011 1:22 AM PDT

By following links from other sources as well as this one, I was able to locate the cleanup file, downloaded it and carefully selected only Adobe Reader to be removed. I had v. 6 (came with the computer) plus versions 8 and two versions of 9 installed,,,a total of over 300 megs that absolutely would not be removed using the normal methods. And each time I responded to an upgrade offer from Adobe, I thought the upgrade process was removing older versions. Not so! Trying to get help from Adobe was brain damage and required money.

The above program is no longer supported or offered by MicroSoft, but can be had elsewhere on the web. I checked it for malware and viruses before running the install.exe. It removed the offending software with no apparent residual problems. I downloaded Foxit PDF reader and couldn't be happier with the result. And I no longer have the "sharing conflict" issues which started this search in the first place.

I used AVG Free antivirus for a number of years and recently learned of Avira from a computer tech. I removed AVG and have been using Avira (smaller footprint) for about a year. The Windows Install Cleanup program found residual files from AVG and I cleaned those out too.

Hope this helps others with similar problems with Adobe Acrobat Reader issues.

Collapse -
6 MONTHS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS!
by DEVYMARIN / August 28, 2012 3:35 PM PDT

I have been trying to install this for 6 months! I have done it on every other computer before and would have to revert to my iphone to open items and then print them on my wireless printer! This seriously installed it in less than 5 minutes! I have no clue what the difference is but it worked! Thank you.

Collapse -
Look for Adobe ARM and remove that first
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2012 8:49 PM PDT

Get rid of all instances of Adobe reader as well as ARM. Install the latest version fresh and get it from the Adobe site only.

Collapse -
There's An Updated Version Available
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 29, 2012 3:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Adobe will not instal
by johninlagos / August 13, 2014 4:03 AM PDT

Thanks for your help Grif, working fine now. John Portugal.

Collapse -
Updated Version Of Adobe Reader Now Available
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 14, 2014 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Adobe will not instal
Collapse -
Answer
Hi,
by WilliamKSmith / August 20, 2014 8:35 PM PDT

You will need to run as administrator. I'd also recommend restarting your computer and then trying the reinstall again. Make sure you are installing directly from Adobe.

Collapse -
Be sure to check those dates
by Jimmy Greystone / August 20, 2014 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi,

Be sure to check those dates. I know most of us have probably been caught out responding to a really old thread a couple of times because something happens to bump the thread to the top, but this thread is several years old. If you have to check the old thread warning box, that should be a good clue to check how old the majority of replies are. After around 3+ years, it's probably safe to assume the OP isn't coming back.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!