Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Adobe Reader/Acrobat exploits:

by EdH / February 13, 2008 8:21 PM PST
LINK

Since practically everyone uses this, I thought I'd post a heads up. In Adobe Reader go to Help and choose Updates at the bottom of the menu. Updating can take some time.
Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Foxit PDF Reader 2.2 build 2129
by WOODS-HICK / February 13, 2008 10:06 PM PST

members might consider this alternative:

http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reader/3000-2079_4-10313206.html?tag=lst-1

here is what I said at cnet download with my first version. the comment I would add: it only gets better. more features, greater acceptance at more websites.

Perfect for me

Pros: Had Adobe which is wonderful but overweight for my usage. I only need a reader with a few extras. Transferred my old Adobe files, no problem. So far I have not found a site I couldn't use.

Posted: 21-Mar-2006 04:23:32 PM

Collapse -
Thanks. Worth a try.....
by EdH / February 14, 2008 1:49 AM PST

but I do like the ability to open a PDF in my browser. I've never had a problem with the Adobe Reader.

Collapse -
(NT) works in firefox
by WOODS-HICK / February 14, 2008 1:52 AM PST
Collapse -
As far as I can tell...
by EdH / February 14, 2008 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: works in firefox

it opens the Foxit Reader application, but doesn't open in a tab or browser window. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

Collapse -
when I open a PDF using firefox
by WOODS-HICK / February 14, 2008 3:02 AM PST

it downloads like any other. asks whether to 'open or save'. if I want to read it for reference asap, I open. if not I will save to desired folder or DT.

also when downloading. I can see progress in the sidebar. option to pause, retry, open or remove.

I can't remember if I could do all that before installing: 'all-in-one sidebar' ff add-on.

you might be aware of all that stuff. upon closer reading of your posts I see what you are trying to do. I have never tried that, so I do not know.

a work-around might be to send it to something that you could open & tab. I do not know the reason for your requirement so it might not be worth the effort because adobe has its' advantages. foxit might still be handy for other things.

Collapse -
lightning fast!!
by jonah jones / February 14, 2008 3:10 AM PST
Collapse -
dial-up here
by WOODS-HICK / February 14, 2008 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: lightning fast!!

so everything seems ssllloooowwwww. it took 4 min 20 seconds at 40.0 kps. I am over 25 miles from ISP server.

I am glad it turned out to be useful for you.

Collapse -
(NT) and i thought Acrobat 5 was small, thanks!
by jonah jones / February 14, 2008 2:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Exploits in adobe's pdf programs are big problems
by grimgraphix / February 14, 2008 2:12 AM PST

... considering the format is used for a variety of uses, including online ticket sales. I have a friend who bought tickets for a Yankees game last summer... they were sent to him via email in a print-it-yourself secure form of (you guessed it) PDF. The PDFs were encrypted so no one could change the file so as to print extra seats off.

I also have had older clients who insisted on using AOL email which is notorious for blocking tons of stuff including all sorts of images. When I tried to send one fellow rough thumbnail sketches and proofs of labels for his products, his email would constantly reject them and he could not figure how to reset his filters. If it hadn't been for the fact his email would accept images in PDF, I would have ended up either depending on snail mail to pass him small changes for his consideration, or ended up driving to his store and working in the front of his Italian butcher shop on my lap top. Hmm, that might have been pretty good if he had set me between the Prosciutto di Parma and the fresh mozzarella.
Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!