PC Applications forum

General discussion

Adobe reader 7.07 problem

by soonjin / May 24, 2006 4:37 AM PDT

I'm hoping someone can help. I have Adobe Reader 7.07 with Windows XP Home. 757MB of RAM (50%) used at most times. Have a 2.4 Pentium 4. When I start up Reader, all the icons appear. As the program finishes loading, the save button disappears. There is also no Save or Save as available under the file heading either. I have uninstalled Reader, used CCleaner to delete registry files and re-booted. Then ran CCleaner again and rebooted. Then reinstalled reader from scratch (done this twice). still no Save button or functionality. Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks very much for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe reader 7.07 problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe reader 7.07 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Adobe reader 7.07 problem
by tomron / May 24, 2006 5:03 AM PDT

Heres an excerpt of what i found.

''I have tried to save the data entered on my form, but I cannot. How can I save my data so that I can reuse it''?

In order to save your data, you must have a purchased licensed version of Adobe Acrobat. The free Adobe Reader (downloaded version) will NOT allow you to save data.

click HERE

Tom

Collapse -
not trying to save entered data
by soonjin / May 24, 2006 7:56 AM PDT

Tomron

Thanks for the prompt reply. A little further information might clarify this. As an example, I download an article(or form) in pdf format and want to save a copy of that article (form) on my computer to look at or use later. This is what I cannot do right now. Even the pdf files I have previously saved to my computer, if I open them with Reader the save button (which I used originally to save them to my computer)is gone.

Perhaps this calrifies things. I am aware of the fact that I can't enter things into fillable forms and save the result (I have Scansoft PDF Creator for that).

Collapse -
RE Adobe
by colindarby / May 24, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

Firstly have you an opened up a PDF document [to read] on your computer?

If this is so I feel you have "Encrypted" PDF data which will prevent you from using the "Printing / Copying/ Save" Icons. [all the Icons are grey on an Encrypted document!

Possibly someone on this forum may know of a "Free Decryping" program you could use.

Regards

Collapse -
colindarby
by soonjin / May 24, 2006 2:45 PM PDT

Thanks for your response as well. I have now opened upward of thirty different pdf files, some of which I use every day. Up until a few days ago, they were all able to be saved if I had wanted to (or at least the icon to save was always there). Now no icon, no file save or save as commands. Could I have changed something in the reader program to cause this, I don't remember changing anything though.

Collapse -
Hi Albertafp
by colindarby / May 24, 2006 7:08 PM PDT

Do not know if this will assist?

You mentioned you uninstalled and reinstalled the "Free Adobe Reader 7.07".

Did you install the Adobe from a previous saved program you had or did you install a new one from within the Adobe Web Page?

If you had installed same from one from your library I would suggest you must access a new one from the Adobe Home Page [Must be Adobe Home Page, not one from another Web Page?]
The Adobe program download first downloads/installs their download manager giving you a "Download Icon" on your desktop on which you click [access] to download the Free Adobe Reader program [You should find the download program afterwards on your desktop]
Then install the program.
Hope will help!
Regards

Collapse -
New program
by soonjin / May 25, 2006 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Albertafp

Thanks collindarby again;
Yeah, that was my thought as well after the first reinstall. So I went to the Adobe site and started all over and still with the same results. I've run adaware, spybot and I use AVG Antivirus Pro, all say my computer is fine. So I'm kind of stumped. The Adobe Reader seems to still be fine on my home and laptop computers, just the one computer has this problem. All three computers have Reader 7.07.
The weird thing is the save button (greyed out) isn't showing up even without a document. It disappears as the program finishes loading.

Collapse -
Re: Adobe reader 7.07 problem
by SunderlandFan / May 25, 2006 2:31 AM PDT

Did you go to view/toolbars and then check the settings? There are options there that allow icons to be hidden. You may need to just uncheck them.

SF

Collapse -
sunderlandfan et al
by soonjin / May 25, 2006 11:18 AM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions. Went and checked and yes, I have selected that all be shown. Actually I beleieve that I have tried every possible combination the menu allows. No luck. Its just so very weird, the save button is visible and not greyed out until the very last moment as the program loads. At the very last second (or so it appears) the save button vanishes. Doesn't matter wether I am opening a document or just starting the program with no document.

Went to Panda AV site for thier free scan, the computer also checks out fine. I uninstalled all the Adobe programs I had installed, then cleaned my registry and deleted anything left behind. Then went to Adobe site and downloaded the 7.07 installer yet again and started from scratch with only Reader. Stil don't have the save button or file function.

Collapse -
Re: Adobe reader 7.07 problem
by Snmyr / May 25, 2006 8:21 AM PDT

Have You tryed opening you Adobe and click on View at the top and go to task buttons and make sure show all task buttons is enabled.
Sandy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!