Computer Help forum

General discussion

Adobe Reader

by LakesReg / December 13, 2010 10:12 AM PST

I see when one goes to the adobe site and clicks on download adobe reader, when gets taken to the download of ADOBE Reader X
But if you go to the adobe site and click
downloads
and then click
Product updates
when you click adobe reader-windows
you get update/programs to version 9.4.1

and there is nothing on there about Reader X

that mean 9.4.1 is an up to date reader to use?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Reader
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Reader
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by PKsteven / December 13, 2010 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe Reader

9.4.1 is up to date and usable by all means, however, they use the sandbox technology in Adobe X, which isn't foolproof but yes, with all the issues Adobe had, this is a major improvement.

In truth, X is not an update but a rebuild with better security and not compatible with V.9 as an update, nor will it ever be. It's probably a bit buggy as most new things, but so far, it's working for me just fine. Open with protected mode is chosen by default and a good idea to have it that way in most cases.

Paul

Collapse -
I do want to update something
by PKsteven / December 13, 2010 1:18 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I lied. Ok, no, I forgot actually. Adobe X has an issue with PCtools firewall, it will NOT start in protected mode if the firewall is enabled and only disabling the firewall completely will allow it to run in protected mode.

I did contact Adobe on the matter so we'll see what they say. I haven't tried it with other firewalls yet but this needs to be addressed.

Collapse -
so if you use reader 9
by LakesReg / December 14, 2010 7:33 AM PST

and update, how would you ever know if there were a reader 10 (X)? I mean shouldn't the reader 9 updating say hey there is a newer version out there?

Collapse -
I mean if I go to the ADOBE site
by LakesReg / December 14, 2010 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: so if you use reader 9

then click downloads. The drop down box shows Reader for windows. When I go there, it shows NOTHING about reader 10 (X)
so how would one know to get reader 10?

Unless at this point they are not rolling it out to everyone

Collapse -
I think...
by PKsteven / December 14, 2010 1:53 PM PST

they rolled it out prematurely. Either you cursed me or Adobe X is having a lot of issues, I'll go with the latter of the two Wink

So far, besides the firewall issue, it deleted all file associations, had to open each one manually > open with adobe, my hard drive and firewall began going haywire, constant firewall access outgoing by X, hard drive going like I was running a defrag, and a few other issues so I have reported it, and dumped it.

I am not quite sure what they are doing but I will say this, if ever I thought about using a different PDF reader, it's now. This should have been a beta release.

Your question is a valid one, normally you get a notification stating a new version and I'm not sure what's going through their minds but this has been the sloppiest release, both install and advertising wise I have ever seen by them.

I would warn to leave X alone, stick with 9 or do what I'm going to do, get another PDF reader. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?