Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Adobe photoshop 7...open program is now WHITE not GRAY

by realone23 / January 25, 2006 2:50 AM PST

I want my gray background back...
TO clarify...I open up adobe photoshop and the program background has been gray for two years...I want it to be gray.
But it now opens to a glaring white background...
Any ideas on how to make it gray again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe photoshop 7...open program is now WHITE not GRAY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe photoshop 7...open program is now WHITE not GRAY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
E-Z
by EdH / January 25, 2006 8:10 AM PST

Set the color Picker to the correct gray, R=192, G=192, B=192 (you can actually use any color you want). Then Shift-Paint Bucket in the area.

Another way to get the default would be to trash preferences but that's a bit drastic for this problem.

Collapse -
Trashing Prefs
by taboma / January 26, 2006 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: E-Z

EdH, Why not trash prefs? Wouldn't new prefs be built when you launch Photoshop up again?
What's wrong with your suggestion. I like it.
Also the prefs from Photoshop as a default are very good.

Same works with Quark prefs being rebuilt. I used to do this if Quark crashed on me after a few times within a days work. Workes quite well and resetting takes just a few minutes or less

Ed, tell us more about prefs for Photoshop.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Trashing prefs is overkill...
by EdH / January 26, 2006 8:27 PM PST
In reply to: Trashing Prefs

for this problem. Easy enough to fix it with the Paint Bucket.

Collapse -
Overkill
by taboma / January 27, 2006 4:10 PM PST

Good suggestion with Photoshop for that poster.
I still suggest trashing the prefs with Quark if you had a problem with crashing repeatedly.
Any new program starts with the default prefs. Why is that overkill to trash Photoshop prefs?
A case in point. Recently our company went to all new Macs and all the original programs re-installed. All my older prefs were reverted to defaults. Pain in the butt sometimes, yet not that difficult to reset. Still have to figure out my prefs for auto levels and set them. However, I prefer to set the levels on my own. Much better in my opinion.
Same goes for setting curves and mid-tones.
Thanks for your input EdH, always.

-Kevin

Collapse -
For starters, you've got to remember to switch the color
by Kiddpeat / January 27, 2006 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: Trashing Prefs

space from RGB (Microsoft) to Adobe RGB (1998). Ditto with some other items. A real PIA to remember what they all are.

Collapse -
Here's something you can try...
by EdH / January 28, 2006 1:34 AM PST

if you trash preferences often. Before you redo all your settings, start recording it as an action. Then any time you have to trash prefs you can run the action and get the settings back.

I've never done this, in theory it should work.

Another thing you could do would be to simply copy the Photoshop Preferences file (.psp) to a safe place and then after trashing prefs copy it back. Do this with a new, uncorrupted working perfectly file of course.

You should ALWAYS remember to save any Actions, Brushes, Styles, etc. that you have made or downloaded to the Presets folder and backed them up, just in case.

Collapse -
Here's something?
by taboma / January 28, 2006 4:52 PM PST

Good post!
Nice information to remember.
Actions are wonderful if you understand them.
Saving settings with actions? I've never done that before either.
In theory it should work. Very interesting.

I am printing and copying your post info right now.
I save and copy info to a word doc that will help me now and later.
Something for others to consider doing with good posts and info.

EdH, I need more info on the presets folder. Can you please go into detail and how to do that?
And since you know about pref settings with photoshop, give us your recommended settings. Should help a lot of us here on the forum.

By the way, I do have to reset all my prefs after having Photoshop reinstalled by my IT department onto our Mac Mini last week.
I cannot remember all the settings that I used or set up four years ago at work.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Presets
by EdH / January 28, 2006 10:14 PM PST
In reply to: Here's something?

Adobe Photoshop CS>Presets (for instance). Inside there are subfolders for Actions, Brushes, Swatches, etc.

You can save Action sets from the little flyout arrow on the Actions palette. If you don't do this, you risk losing them in a crash. Actions are stored from session to session in a Preferences file, Actions Palette.psp, but Preference files can be damaged or corrupted. If you actually save them to the Presets folder you will be able to load them easily from the menu that comes out when you click on the flyout triangle. This is true of any Presets palette.

You can also use Edit>Preset Manager to arrange, Delete, Make new sets of Brushes, Styles or whatever Presets you want and Save them (not Actions. You have to manage them from the Actions palette). If they are they can be e-mailed or otherwise transferred from machine to machine. The Preset Manager is a very powerful tool and should be explored.

Where I used to work sometimes I would create sticker sheets to be printed on a Flexographic press. I had to use a certain set of colors that were different from a normal offset job (Flexo will not print a color that has any CMYK componenet under a certain percentage), so I had a sticker sheet Swatches palette saved in my Presets folder and would load that when working on a sticker sheet. Made things easier and simpler. Some jobs require the use of certain brushes as well and I could do the same with Brush sets.

Note that if you have too many Presets (or anythig, including Fonts)loaded it will affect the startup time sas Photoshop looks for everything, so don't have ones you aren't using loaded. You can always load them quickly from any palette's flyout menu.

Always copy downloaded Presets or ones you create to another folder on your hard drive as a backup.

Preferences are individual and it probably would not be helpful to know what I have set. Also I change them from time to time depending on what I am doing., what kind of press and so forth. For instance I usually have Export Clipboard turned off because I generally don't copy and paste Photoshop stuff to another application, but you might. I change Units depending on the job I am doing.

Collapse -
Presets
by taboma / January 29, 2006 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Presets

EdH,
I have to start from scratch at work next week and set my prefs for Photoshop.
I also adjust settings like you do from time to time.
Really good information from you. Keep the info coming.
Thanks.

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?