Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Adobe & Office xp Pro.

by standeb / November 1, 2005 10:57 AM PST

Hi Moderators,

I am of the opinion that this new message should be directed to Grif as he would be familiar with my last thread of date 10/10/05 entitled ''Pdf995 & Office xp pro'', in this forum. It seems to me that my now problem is related to it in some way.

I run xp pro. My o/s is as follows: -

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SMARTY
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model M825VXX
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = ''5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)''
User Name SMARTY\Administrator
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 112.98 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 470.64 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I succeeded in deleting pdf995 from my system as stated in my last reply. However it now occurred today, when I attempt to open any file in my documents, Adobe opens and I get the following message: -

''Adobe Reader could not open Doc. because it is either not a supported file or because the file has been damaged, (for example, it was sent as an e-mail attachment and was not correctly decoded)''.

As a result I have not been able to open any files in My Documents.

Your assistance in this premise is needed as I have a lot of work to do in files situate in My Documents.

I shall be greatful for kind consideration.

Standeb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe & Office xp Pro.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe & Office xp Pro.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Standeb, What Are The File Extensions...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe & Office xp Pro.

...of said files? Are you having problems with "All files" as you state, or are they only files with .doc file extensions?

First, Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader can only open .pdf files..Other files, such as .doc files are associated with other programs..(.doc files are opened by Microsoft Word or possibly "OpenOffice") Do you have Microsoft Word on your computer?

If so, you must "reassociate" those files with the appropriate program..RIGHT click on a .doc file in "My Documents", select "Open With" from the menu that pops up. When the "Open With" box loads, place a CHECK mark in the box next to "Always use this program to open this file type", then select "Microsoft Word" (or Winword.exe)(Or possibly the OpenOffice program if that's what you have installed) from the list in the top of the box and double click on it.

The .doc file should now open with Microsoft Word or your Open Office program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Adobe & Office xp pro.
by standeb / November 1, 2005 12:44 PM PST

Hi Grif.

Many thanks for your reply.

Your diagnosis and prescription were correct. It did help right away.

Thanks again for the help. I am deeply greatful for the same.

Bod bless.

Standeb.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Standeb, Good Job & Glad It Helped!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 1, 2005 1:27 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?