Mac Hardware forum

Resolved Question

Adobe flash upload not activated

by mountselinda / March 27, 2015 3:10 PM PDT

Apple Mac laptop - have downloaded and installed the latest Adobe Flash update, but cannot activate. Instructions are to double click on the icon but this only instructs me to download (again!!). This is obviously something simple I've overlooked but how can I activate the updated flash?

mountselinda has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe flash upload not activated
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe flash upload not activated
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) That would be Download and NOT Upload
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 28, 2015 12:00 AM PDT

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mountselinda

Collapse -
Here's Adobe's note about activating after install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2015 12:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Unsure of which you speak because
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 11:59 PM PDT

Adobe Flash Player does not need any activation.

What I think may be going on is your misinterpretation of the instructions.

The instructions say, Download Now.

Take a look in your Downloads folder for a file called "install_flash_player_OSX.dmg"
Double click it and follow the instructions.
No activation necessary

P

Collapse -
Adobe update not activated
by mountselinda / March 28, 2015 5:35 PM PDT

Thanks but am not able to activate the update. Have followed your advice and the response on the computer is
"This cannot be installed.... because the newer version (16.0.0.305) is already installed". However when I click on the Flash icon on my desktop it tells me to follow the instructions and install Flash. I'm going round in circles.
I'm trying to add photos to my ebay selling lists and am also informed there that I am blocked and must download the Flash update. Can we get any further with this? There must be an answer, but my computer ignorance is not helping.
The Firefox option probably is not the answer as I'm using Google which claims to be integrated with Adobe so that everything is automatically implemented.

Collapse -
No, you are NOT using Google!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 28, 2015 11:30 PM PDT

You are GOING to Google USING (insert the name of your web browser Safari/Firefox/Chrome/etc.)

Which one is it?

P

Collapse -
Re: flash icon
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2015 11:45 PM PDT

What's the "flash icon" on your desktop?
What exactly is blocking what?

I'd try Safari in stead of Chrome or see if you can install Flash into Firefox if you don't want to use Safari.

Kees

Collapse -
Flash installation
by mountselinda / March 30, 2015 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: flash icon

Thanks for your answers - they all helped to put me on the right track - made me think a bit more about how to resolve computer problems. In this case the problem seems to be with Safari - the Flash had been properly downloaded and installed right from the start, but I had lots of doubts about it being activated because when trying to upload photos on ebay I constantly received the message telling me to update Flash to the new version. So contrary to what I intimated in my communications to you - I was actually using Safari and did NOT have Google Chrome installed. I installed Chrome and resolved my problem. Many thanks to you, especially for your patience and understanding for a computer illiterate - I now have a greater familiarity with my computer and sure know where to get help when required. Best wishes

Collapse -
(NT) Nice to hear you are back on track, thanks for the update
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 30, 2015 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Flash installation

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!