Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Adobe flash player won't download

by DALE78 / June 3, 2012 9:15 PM PDT

Hi all, Unfortunately my technichal knowlege is on the bottom level so if anyone has any help can you put it in step by step simple terms for me thanks ha ha.

I am using an ACER TRAVELMATE 292EXCi laptop and have just updated my browser to Firefox. Since doing this I can no longer view some videos online as I am being told to install Adobe flash player (which I previously had before updating browser).

When trying to download the flash player the download fails and the following appears

install_flash_player32bit.exe-entry point not found

The procedure entry point SetDllDirectoryW could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I have no idea what my next step should be and need to sort this asap as I have work to do. You guys are al so clever and any help would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Dale.

DALE78 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe flash player won't download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe flash player won't download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by DALE78

Collapse -
Just noticed
by DALE78 / June 3, 2012 9:19 PM PDT

It does say "please make sure javascript is enabled in your browser settings" but not sure where my brwser settings are Sad

Collapse -
Ref above
by DALE78 / June 3, 2012 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Just noticed

Have now found settings and Javascript box is checked

Collapse -
Answer
Different versions
by samkh / June 4, 2012 12:15 AM PDT

of Java for IE and FF. Get the right one. Visit Adobe site with FF and download/install.

Collapse -
OK
by DALE78 / June 4, 2012 12:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Different versions

Tried going through Adobe site and still the same.......

Collapse -
Does your laptop
by samkh / June 4, 2012 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: OK
Collapse -
No
by DALE78 / June 7, 2012 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Does your laptop

Doesnt look like I do. Tried installing one of the older versions of adobe but not working. I used to have it working before I updated my browser but now wont install version 11. What would my next step be?

Collapse -
PS
by DALE78 / June 8, 2012 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: No

I haven't resolved this even though it says I have.....

Collapse -
Why don't you
by samkh / June 9, 2012 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: PS

go back to the FF version that worked before with Flash? If that still doesn't work, consider changing to alternative browsers that MAY possibly work with Flash even though your laptop is old. If not, and if you have an image backup of the hard drive with previous working configurations, restore it.

Collapse -
yeah
by DALE78 / June 9, 2012 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Why don't you

I already tried this. I was using IE before but now when I try to download IE browser to go back to it, it says the same kind of message as when I try to donload flash player

iesetup.exe - Entry point ot found

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

What is this entry point in the dynamic link library, this seems to be a consistent problem?

Collapse -
It is a
by samkh / June 11, 2012 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah

problem with the OS. Reload the OS or restore a previous working copy, if you did back it up. Flash may even work with an older laptop if OS is functioning properly. Good luck.

Collapse -
Sorry
by DALE78 / June 11, 2012 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: It is a

What's OS and how would I reload it without a backup?

Collapse -
(NT) OS = Operating System.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry
Collapse -
Re: reloading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

Reloading without a backup is just the same procedure as reloading with a backup. It's even easier and faster because you don't have to take the trouble and spend the time to restore what's on the backup.
The only downside is you lose your data. But not having a backup means you don't mind.

And who said that you couldn't make a backup before reloading the OS? Surely nobody here.

Still a lot of things are unclear in all your posts. So reloading the OS might not even be necessary.
- What's your OS?
- What does "update my browser to Firefox" mean? You can't update Internet Explorer or Chrome or Opera to Firefox. Those other browser (you don't tell which one you used) are independent and continue working like they did.
- "Download IE browser to go back to it." That's strange, because IE can't be uninstalled so always should be available. What version of IE did you download from where? And what version did you run before?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
If this was on my desk to look at.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 5:40 AM PDT

I'd tell the owner to install the Google Chrome Web browser before trying to fix any Flash player issues.

Flash is turning out to be a great thing for service counters across the world as owners struggle to install or fix it.

Save yourself time and more by trying the Google Chrome web browser which has the Flash player built in.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?