by davidwholt / February 26, 2010 6:25 PM PST

Secunia PSI tells me I have 1 insecure program

10.0.42.34 (ActiveX)
Installation Path
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10d.ocx

When I try to delete that ActiveX control, this pops up
"You need permission to perform this action."

I run Vista with UAC turned off.

Is it a risk and if so, any suggestion on how to delete it?

This info leads me to think I need to boot in Safe Mode to remove it.

Extra Information / Known Issues with Adobe Flash Player 10.x
When updating Flash for IE, you need to close all programs that use Flash, including the PSI before applying the Patch, which is done by right-clicking the PSI icon, running in the tray, and selecting exit.. The PSI uses Flash for graphics, so the program cannot be successfully updated while the PSI is running.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player vulnerability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player vulnerability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Little While Back...
by tobeach / February 27, 2010 2:43 PM PST

(about 4-6 weeks?) Flash made a change to how you remove Flash. As of now you need to use their Flash Un-installer exe titled:
"1209_uninstall_flash_player.exe" (204Kb) which you can get from their site. You'll need to run the uninstaller each time you want to update to newer version like current 10.0.45.2 (? changes very often) except possibly for Firefox plug-in (?) which I *think* does it all in one shot as an online install. I don't use FF so not sure. Hope this helps! Happy

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player uninstaller
by davidwholt / February 28, 2010 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: A Little While Back...

Thanks, tobeach!

I looked up this article.

Maybe I will be able to wipe out all vulnerable traces.

Adobe Flash Player uninstaller
by Donna Buenaventura - 2/11/10 7:26 PM In reply to: UPDATES - February 11, 2010 by Donna Buenaventura
Adobe Flash Player uninstaller for Windows, updated Feb. 11, 2010

Note: The uninstaller cannot remove files currently in use.

If you have any instances of the player open in your web browsers, instant messaging clients, stand-alone SWFs, or projectors, then the uninstaller will complete but some files may not be deleted. If this occurs, then close all of your applications and run the uninstaller again to ensure that all files are removed.

Note: Internet Explorer users may have to reboot to clear all uninstalled Flash Player ActiveX control files. If you're not certain, select the "Show Details" button in the Flash Player uninstaller. If there are any log lines that begin with "Delete on Reboot..." then you'll need to reboot BEFORE running the Flash Player installer again.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Collapse -
Yes, it will wipe all traces
by Donna Buenaventura / March 1, 2010 7:57 AM PST

Just reboot if the uninstaller details says there's some files that is not deleted until a reboot is done.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!