Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller hangs at the end of progress

by aaltinalmazis / May 28, 2009 2:05 AM PDT

I have tried to uninstall Flash by using the Flash Uninstaller at the link below..

uninstall_flash_player.exe (205 KB) (updated 2/24/08)

But the progress line hangs a little bit before the end.

I tried to apply the following, but to no avail,
any help will be appriciated..
andre

Internet Explorer ActiveX settings
Browser security settings should be chosen by you or by your system administrator. For single users who do not have an administrator, the Medium: Default Level allows you to view Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure that both the "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" options are set to "Prompt".

To change your security level:

Open Internet Explorer.
Choose Tools > Internet Options.
Select the Security tab.
Select Custom Level.
Find the section "ActiveX controls and plug-ins".
Set ' Download Signed ActiveX Controls' to Prompt.
Set 'Run ActiveX Controls And Plug-ins' to Prompt.
If you are having trouble installing, make sure that your Internet Explorer security level is not set to High or to a custom level that does not allow viewing of ActiveX controls

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller hangs at the end of progress
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller hangs at the end of progress
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this IE7?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 28, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

I assume you mean the Flash Player plugin for Internet Explorer, but is this IE7, IE8, or an earlier IE?

If it is IE7 you can try disabling the plugin, and then deleting it from within IE.

Open IE, goto Tools and select "Manage Add-ons > Enable/Disable Add-ons". In the Manage Add-ons window, select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer" from the "Show" list.

Scroll down to find any Shockwave entry, there could be more than one, and disable them. Then delete them. Close down IE, restart it, and go back into Manage Add-ons to see if they have been deleted. Then try installing the plugin again.

If that fails in IE7, then you could Reset the browser to its default settings, Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. But this will lose all your web site password/username details stored in IE, as well as history, cookies, and favorites.

Mark

Collapse -
Progress of Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller.exe hangs
by aaltinalmazis / May 28, 2009 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this IE7?

I mean the "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX" and "Plugin" for IE8 Greek version.
This issue started after having installed IE8 from my Microsoft updates on top of IE7.
Ever since my browser started to become slower in loading pages and was hanging out ocasionally.
I was then advised inadvertendly to Uninstall AFPlayer 10 ActiveX from my Add/Uninstall Programme.
Which I did it with the help of Ashampoo Uninstaller Platinum Suite, and managed to install the lighter "Adobe Flash Player 9" version.
Ever since my browser became faster but I cannot open/play video clips fron YouTube.
I have tried to apply your guidlines but I am stuck with interpreting them into the Greek text.
For examle: What you mean by "show" list and "Scroll down to find any Shockwave entry " .
Also if resetting of the IE8 browser to its default settings it can solve the problem , at the expense of loosing all web site password/username details stored in IE.
Does this includes all my favorites lists also??
Grateful if you can further clarify the necessary steps to be taken to resolve this issue.
Thanks a lot.
andre

Collapse -
Are all these Shockwave entries?? and should I disable them!
by aaltinalmazis / May 28, 2009 7:09 AM PDT

Όνομα Blog with Windows Live Spaces
Διεύθυνση live.com
Κατηγορία ιστολόγιο
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Blogger
Διεύθυνση blogger.com
Κατηγορία Blog
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Define with Google Dictionary
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία Define
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Gmail
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία Email
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Google Finance
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία Finance
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Google Maps
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία Map
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Google News
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία News
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Google Translate
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία Translate
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Search with Google Video
Διεύθυνση google.com
Κατηγορία Videos
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Όνομα Αποστολή email με Windows Live
Διεύθυνση live.com
Κατηγορία Ηλεκτρονικό ταχυδρομείο
Κατάσταση Προεπιλογή

Collapse -
Greek Version?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 28, 2009 7:21 AM PDT

I can't help you there. Is this Windows a Greek version Windows? If so, I take it you understand the Greek language yourself.

There are some English words in the list, and that may help you make a decision what to do.

I don't use IE8 myself but I assume it has the same Reset button. You can save your favorites by exporting them to a file. In IE8 goto File > Import/Export, then follow the prompts. The Greek version should have the same options.

If you are not happy with IE8, then you can revert back to IE7 in the Add/Remove utility. Look for "Windows Internet Explorer 8" and click the "Remove" button. This should remove IE8 and restore IE7.

As always, I would suggest you create a System Restore point before making any changes.

Mark

Collapse -
Problem now fixed
by aaltinalmazis / May 29, 2009 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Greek Version?

Finally I managed to fix my problem by sheer luck after deciding to download and Install the Adobe Flash Player10 Active X v.10.0.22.87 from cnet download.com,.... thereafter I restarted my PC and the YouTube video/clips started to open/play again as usually.

I am stunned, I dont know what to say...Cheers...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?