How To forum

Resolved Question

adobe flash player troubles

by brtova / September 2, 2012 5:27 AM PDT

Whenever I try to watch a video on utube or the weather channel, I get this pop-up that obscures most of the video screen that says:
"adobe flash player settings
local storage
admin.b rightcove.com is requesting permission to store info on your computer..."

There is more, but no matter where I click on it, nothing happens, so I can't get rid of it.

What to do?

brtova has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adobe flash player troubles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adobe flash player troubles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) What is righcove.com?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 5:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
it is "b rightcove" with a space between the "b" and the "r"
by brtova / September 2, 2012 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: What is righcove.com?

I have no idea whatsoever, either. It sounds suspicious to me, doesn't it to you?

Collapse -
Re: brightcove
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 6:06 AM PDT

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by brtova

Collapse -
Re: flash
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

Quite a lot of Flash issues are solved by disabling the hardware accelleration. If you don't know how, google FLASH DISABLE HARDWARE ACCELLERATION and use the link that works for you.

Kees

Collapse -
"flash disable.."
by brtova / September 2, 2012 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: flash

Hi Kees,

Thanks for the help.

Okay, I googled it and got the following but what is the "flash panorama" and where do I find it?

"If you are experiencing jerky or slow movement of the panorama in full-screen mode, it is likely due to a problem with hardware acceleration in Adobe Flash Player.

To disable hardware acceleration in flash, please

Right click (or ctrl click on a Mac) on the flash panorama.
Choose settings

Make sure the hardware acelleration box is unchecked

Click close to save the settings.
Please exit full-screen mode, and refresh your page."

Collapse -
Re: flash
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: "flash disable.."
Collapse -
thanks for the info -problem solved
by brtova / September 3, 2012 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: flash

Hi Kees,

Thanks so much for the info. You have filled in some gaps in my knowledge.

By chance, i figured out how to get the window to disappear.
A couple of weeks ago I thought I downloaded Adobe flash player. But I guess it didn't download properly because I couldn't find it in my apps. So I downloaded it again (successfully this time) and the window hasn't appeared since.

I am curious though. I have always looked at U-Tube videos without any trouble until lately when these "cover-up" windows began appearing. Does that mean that other people who don't have afp on their computer get this window all the time??

Oh well....
Computers are mysterious beasts.

Thanks for answering so fast and helping me out!

brtova

Collapse -
These dialogue boxes are for allowing sites to store info
by Gordon_Hay / September 6, 2012 9:30 AM PDT

regarding flash usage. You can specify in afp settings whether sites can store this info automatically (no dialogue box appears), ask you first (dialogue box appears) or block all sites (performance may suffer).

You can access this, and other flash settings from the control panel.

If you select the "ask me first" and the dialogue box does not respond when you click on it, reload the page.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?