PC Applications forum

General discussion

Adobe Flash Player (outside of protected mode?)

by DerfX / February 24, 2011 4:30 PM PST

Hi all, I'm running Win7x64 on an HP laptop and have been using Adobe Flash Player forever. I just allowed an Adobe Flash Player Update and now, every time a web page refreshes, I get a warning saying Abobe Flash Player "...wants to open content outside of protected mode.) I don't remember seeing that before and I'm not sure if that's a normal thing that I should create a rule for or not. I use AVG Pro Internet Suite with the AVG 2-way Firewall. I'm not sure if it's my firewall giving me the warning or not but it's the kind of warning where your whole screen temporarily grays out and this yellow border pop-up really gets your attention, the same warning I get when I attenpt to "install" any third party program. Any ideas? Maybe normal? And thanks for all your previous help, you guys are great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player (outside of protected mode?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player (outside of protected mode?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And Also...
by DerfX / February 24, 2011 4:35 PM PST

I took a screen-shot of the warning and cropped it but I'm not sure how to upload it to this forum or if I even can.

Collapse -
Indirectly...
by John.Wilkinson / February 25, 2011 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: And Also...

You can upload the image to a free image hosting site, such as ImageShack.us, and then post the link to the image here. (Just the plain link; we do not permit thumbnails, embedded images, et cetera.)

Regarding the notifications, are you using Internet Explorer? If so, is that IE8 or IE9 and are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
RE:
by DerfX / February 25, 2011 7:03 PM PST
In reply to: Indirectly...

Hi, and thanks for responding so quickly.

I have a Flickr account so I hope that works. Here is the link to the screenshot -<http://www.flickr.com/photos/59976690@N03/5478731344/>-

I use EI8 exclusively, (Bill Gates fan) and I run 64 bit as noted above in "...Win7x64..."

It's seems weird because I've used Adobe Flash for years and never got this before. I thought I read somewhere that there were "Adobe Impersonaters" out there and I just wanted to be sure before I clicked the box to tell my computer to quit asking me.

Here is another warning that keeps popping up now. -<http://www.flickr.com/photos/59976690@N03/5478731374/>-

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?