General discussion

Adobe Flash Player not working

I reinstalled my Windows Vista Home Premium operating system on an Acer desk top with an Athlon 3800 microprocessor. I was able to reinstall all my software including Windows Mail.

When I tried to look at a YouTube video the message prompting me to download Adobe Flash Player 10 or higher appeared so I downloaded it. Flash Player will not work with any website. I uninstalled it and reinstalled to no avail.

Coincidentally I cannot open links in email messages. An error message appears, "Application Not Found".

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob
MN

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Adobe Flash Player not working
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Adobe Flash Player not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tried Disabling "Hardware Acceleration".

Try the steps below:

Click on the link below to see if you can load the Flash animation (banner) without the system crashing at:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Don't worry, it's not a video, it shouldn't crash -- if it does, this won't fix your issue. If it works without crashing, right-click on the Flash animation (banner) and uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration" from the Settings panel. You should now be able to view the YouTube videos without crashing the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Page Displays But No banner.

Clicked on the link with IE9 but the banner would not display. I clicked on the link with Google Chrome and the banner box displayed,"You have version 10,2,154,25 installed". The accompanying table lists that version for Chrome. The version for Windows Internet Explorer is 10,2,153,1.

Yesterday I uninstalled Google Chrome before uninstalling Flash Player and then installing Flash Player. I must have a setting that is telling the downloader to use the Chrome version even if I started the process with Internet Explorer.

While I prefer to use IE I may be stuck with Chrome for now. Besides IE9 is a whole different animal from IE8.

Thanks for your help. Now I know what has happened I just don't know why.

- Collapse -
Chorme & IE Use Different Flash Player Installers
- Collapse -
Flash Player still won't work with IE

Tried your suggestion but didn't work. I tried removing all Adobe Flash Player folders, uninstalling Flash Player and installing installing Flash Player for Windows IE. Maybe it is a registry problem. Something is telling the installer to install the Chrome version.

- Collapse -
A Thought.. Is This Using Vista 64 bit With IE 64 bit?

If you're using Vista 64 bit, then Flash DOES NOT work on the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer. It's not supported. There should be a 32 bit version of Internet Explorer and if you've installed the correct Flash Player for Internet Explorer, then the 32 bit version of IE should work correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
32 Bit

I have Vista 32 bit.

- Collapse -
Solved

I found the solution: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/834234?tstart=0

Using IE8, go to Tools, Manage addons and under "Show"(very light text) look in All addons and Run without Permission.

Is "Shockwave Flash Object" Installed and Enabled? What version? Not the Shockwave ActiveX Control, that is the ActiveX Control for Shockwave Player, which is different than Flash Player.

Using your other browser, look in plugins for the Shockwave Flash plugin. Is that Installed and Enabled?

The plugin was disabled. Changed to enable and Flash Player now works with IE9.

- Collapse -
Interesting, That's Not A Default Setting

After installing Flash Player, it will automatically be "enabled" unless choices to disable it were made after installation.. Interesting.

Thanks for posting back.

Grif

- Collapse -
Flash Player Disabled?

Back when I reinstalled my Windows Vista operating system I installed Internet Explorer first but not Adobe Flash Player. I installed Google Chrome which includes Adobe Flash Player a couple days later. I'm wondering if the Google Chrome installation disabled the Shockwave Flash plugin for IE. Google Chrome and IE use different versions of Adobe Flash Player. I will try replicating the conditions so if it will happen again.

CNET Forums

Forum Info