Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Adobe Flash Player hangs certain sites on IE7

by Sunsetlover / July 14, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

Hello all,
I have an old computer that I just did a fresh reformat and clean reinstall of the OS on. I downloaded Flash Player 10.1.53.64, with of course no preexisting flash player version existing in my system.

Now when I use Yahoo especially, my browser hangs for 30-45 seconds (showing 99% of CPU), waiting for the Flash ad to reload. Every click on an email in Yahoo Mail usually produces that freeze. You can imagine how frustrating that is!

I think Yahoo's "abuse" with Flash ads is well documented. But is there a minimum RAM recommended for Flash Player? It's an old computer so I only have 1 GB on it.

Thanks!
WinXP SP2, IE7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player hangs certain sites on IE7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player hangs certain sites on IE7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1GB
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 14, 2010 8:56 PM PDT

Is that 1GB RAM, or Hard Disk space remaining? That could make a lot of difference.

If your system's RAM is low, eg less than 512MB of RAM, the system may struggle with video applications like Flash.

If you are struggling with hard disk space, then that can cause performance problems as well.

You say this is an old system so it is possible the video card is an on-board card with the motherboard instead of a separate video card. If so, then the video card shares RAM memory with the systems RAM, and if RAM is small, then this may cause difficulties.

So what I am saying is, we need more details of your system specifications.

How did you do that fresh install? XP needs drivers as well as the Operating System and they have to be installed as well.

Mark

Collapse -
Flash and 1GB RAM
by Sunsetlover / July 15, 2010 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: 1GB

Thanks Mark.

That's 1GB of RAM. Hard disk space is over 90GB.

But your suspicion is correct, my video card has shared memory, I think up to 128MB.

I did the fresh install using the dvd I still have from Toshiba, all the drivers installed.

Collapse -
Hmm. Ad Blocker?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 15, 2010 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash and 1GB RAM

That 1 GB RAM should be sufficient then, and while the 128MB shared memory video card isn't great, it shouldn't really be affected by Flash ads.

I don't experience Flash ads or many ads at all, at Yahoo or elsewhere, because I use a different browser Mozilla's Firefox, with Adblockplus, a Firefox add-on that helps prevent most web site advertising from displaying. I just subscribe to the EasyList(USA) filter in ABP, and even though I'm in the UK this blocks most advertising.

There isn't an official version for IE unfortunately. I note you are still using IE7, so I assume you will update to IE8 when Windows Update recommends it.

Have you tried any YouTube videos? They are flash based and that would be a good test of your video card.

I just wonder if there is some other thing that is causing this performance loss. With IE many problems are caused by bad or rogue add-ons, so possibly you picked up a bad add-on since the re-install.

What security applications do you have, like anti-virus, anti-malware etc? I ask because an anti-virus like AVG with it's LinkScanner browser add-on, (it may have a different name now), has been known to cause browsing problems.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?