Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Adobe Flash Player

by lhendri479 / November 11, 2006 12:13 PM PST

Cannot install Abode Flash Player - no matter what. What else can I use?

Yes, I have downloaded many programs and installed them, but this one is something else.

Any clues or suggestions will definately be appreciated.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Flash Player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Flash Player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Adobe Flash player
by Kees Bakker / November 11, 2006 7:33 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe Flash Player

As long as don't tell the details (what OS, what browser, how are you doing it, what happens exactly and what goes wrong) we surely can't help you. For playing Flash-animations, there's no alternative, so you've got the choice between (a) find a way to get it running or (b) don't play Flash.

Kees

Collapse -
If You're Using Internet Explorer...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 12, 2006 5:57 AM PST

..the click on the link below to download the "stand alone" Flash Player ActiveX installer.. Once the .msi installer is downloaded to your desktop, then run the installer and it will install the current version of the Flash Player.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, the link seems to be missing.
by Kees Bakker / November 13, 2006 4:38 AM PST

Did you mean http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html ?

All I can find on the macromedia/adobe site is http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW but the install button ask to install Flash 9, not to download the .msi.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19166 might be helpful for the OP also, if even the direct installer doesn't work.

Ain't it strange that the OP didn't complain about the missing link. That makes your post practically worthless for him.

Kees

Collapse -
Yes, I Did Mean...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 13, 2006 4:51 AM PST

...to post the link you mentioned below. I've used the downloadable .msi file quite a few times and it's worked for me.:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/internet/flash.html

I could swear I pasted that link when I created the post???

Oh well....I guess I'm just getting old.. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

Grif

Collapse -
Download
by lhendri479 / December 5, 2006 5:16 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, I Did Mean...

That certainly did work nicely!! Thank you very much everyone for your help and advice. I appreciate it.

Collapse -
Adobe Flash Player
by bobby72 / January 7, 2007 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Download

Be happy that you cannot download it- Adobe will be tryingtocontrol those that have Adobe Flash Player.

Collapse -
OK Now,,With A Statement Like That....Please Explain...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 7, 2007 12:47 PM PST

Adobe has been around a long time, as has Macromedia who formerly produced Flash...so what do you mean by "tryingtocontrol those" with Flash Player..

Flash player is a small OPTIONAL ActiveX component for those that wish to view "Flash" media.. It's not a required product and if Adobe gets heavy-handed with their product, folks just won't use it. Obviously, it wouldn't help Adobe to "control" anyone.

Just curious...

Grif

Collapse -
Glad I found this thread.....
by dcurtis53 / January 20, 2007 10:42 PM PST

...at least I'm not alone in my dummie territory Happy XP home, IE 7, Firefox and Opera - 256 MB RAM Celeron D

I go to all these sites that tell me I need to upgrade to Flash 9 - then I do the download, get a message that dowbnload successful, and it still dowesn't work - I go back to the original site and STILL get message that I need to install Adobe 9 - I'll study this thread to see if I find the solution.

Collapse -
Thank you....
by dcurtis53 / January 20, 2007 11:00 PM PST

.....to lhendri for starting this thread, and to Grif for providing the tip that worked!

Collapse -
Grif...???
by cutecolleen / February 7, 2007 12:51 AM PST

From Rhiw....???
Is that you...???

Mindublin!!

Collapse -
Nope, Same Heritage...Different Location..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 7, 2007 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Grif...???

It's a common name from that area. I live in the U.S... Certainly, I have family that came from Wales.. but we've been in the states for quite a few generations.

I hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Nope, Same Heritage...Different Location
by cutecolleen / February 11, 2007 5:35 PM PST

Tnx. I was just being curious. Your Welsh namesake is quite a techie too. Must be in the genes!

Collapse -
Thanks!
by ifileftthezoo / March 17, 2007 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I Did Mean...

I had the same exact problem and I downloaded the patch and it worked, now I can watch videos on You Tube. I just got a new PC 2 weeks ago so I can't understand wwhy this problem exists. Thanks for yor help!! Peace

Collapse -
Adobe Flash D/load issue
by tonyl42 / January 1, 2008 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

I wasted 2 frustrating hours until I found this topic. Your solution worked fine - so many thanks Happy
TonyL

Collapse -
Oh yes, thanks a ton
by mansigandhi / January 3, 2008 11:19 PM PST

I spent so much time trying to figure out the problem and its solution.

Thanks a bunch Kees and Grif Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.