Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Adobe Creative Suite, What's With the Update?

by taboma. / March 18, 2005 1:18 PM PST

Adobe Photoshop CS is an update to V7. Adobe Illustrator CS is an update also.
Why should I purchase CS if I haven't learned everything from APS-6 and AI-10 that I want to?
I am not into web design at all. I leave that aspect up to the experts in their field.
What would prompt me to purchase these Creative Suite upgrades at this time?
Please give me a solid reason why!?

Thanks for your future input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adobe Creative Suite, What's With the Update?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adobe Creative Suite, What's With the Update?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well,.....
by funkid7 / March 20, 2005 5:16 AM PST

I have APS-CS and still have not installed it. I like PS7 and am still learning it. I also feel that, 7 is sufficient for what I need to do, so why bother with CS.
Why would I have it then and not use it? : I work for a media publishing corp. and get free copies of all their software. My CS is for non-comm use. I do have a legal copy of PS 5.5 and still use it for sales purposes.

Collapse -
Well?
by taboma. / March 21, 2005 2:54 PM PST
In reply to: Well,.....

Funkid, please get in touch with me via email.
I took your tip and my art is on Renderosity.com

Presently I am using Photoshop 6 at my home-base. I use a lot of the filters that are available. Have you been to Adobe.com and checked out additional filters for photoshop? Really nice stuff to use.
Tell me when you install PS7-CS and inform me what's great about it. I am still on a learning curve with V6.
I think it will take a while to learn all that's available before going to V7-CS

At work I am de-allocated to PS 3.0. Not even 4, 5, 5.5, 6 or 7
Bummer!!! The company cannot upgrade due to the cost, due to the fact that there are close to a hundred of us that need upgrades on our graphic's programs. The company chooses only to upgrade the supervisors. Four in total spread between offices. Most of the supervisors do not even have a clue on how to use the software. I am also working with Quark 3.2 at the present time at work. I have been working with 3.2 for ten years. I think that I am an expert with that version. My supervisor has V4 and doesen't have a clue on how to use it. WOW! I use Quark V4 at home.
Presently, Quark is at 6.2. What ever happened to V5?

Still need to know what's great with PS7-CS?
Website development? Let us know.

Kevin Smith

Collapse -
About Upgrading
by Pixelish / March 28, 2005 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Well?

I upgrade as a last resort. Most upgrades are just to sell people new software, i.m.h.o.

The last upgrade I made in my shop (about 9 months ago) cost major dollars. All the newest mac-based upgrades run in OSX. This means upgrading everything - software, drivers, font utilities, etc. I still have one machine that just runs in OS9 with Quark 4, Photoshop 5 and Illustrator 5 or 6 (can't remember which). Many shops are still working actively in Quark 4 - because of image setters / rip and driver issues.

I don't do a lot of design work in Photoshop, mostly standard photo work for magazines, newsletters, etc. So as far as I'm concerned - photoshop 3 would work fine in many cases! The "healing" tool in CS is nice - great for photo repair and works better than the "cloning" tool. You might check out the forums on the Adobe website for more detailed information.

Quark 6.2 is great - but requires OSX. This is the biggest pain in the butt about 6.2 - you cannot "save as" a version 4 file - only a version 5 file (which many shops did not even bother with). For jobs I send out for specialized output - I end up saving as version 5 in Quark 6.2, then opening it in 5 and backsaving to 4.

karen

Collapse -
About Upgrading
by taboma. / March 29, 2005 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: About Upgrading

Karen, Thanks for the info about upgrading, Specially with Quark. Really surprised that you cannot save down to V4 or V3. Have to save to V5? Who the hell has V5? That didn't last too long, did it? The print shops will not use it? Wonder why? Rips? And other problems.
Karen, clue me in more please.

Did you see that Quark's magazine is back for $128 for the subscription. Has a boomerang as a logo. Kind of?
We're back!! Free t-shirt with a hefty subscription charge. Oh, yes, that will make me sign up for the magazine. Not!
What about you? Don't you just need a new boomerang T-shirt? How about an upgrade that will let you save from V6.2 to V3.2 or V4 directly like Adobe does in all their apps?
I happen to love the Adobe software with Photoshop and Illustrator. Acrobat is another tool that I need to upgrade. V7 seems interesting. I only have V4 at work.

Really, is seems, these giant corporations think we are all made out of money and we need all the latest and greatest upgrades.
How about a program that is solid as a rock, and good for a few years until the designers work out all the bugs before pushing a new upgrade on us every six months. Like you said before about Quark V5.

Karen, please stay in touch. Not many people talking Quark in the CNET Forum. Wonder why?
Check out my post on Corel Draw Suite. Now, that is a really hot issue with one post only for over a week. Besides, who the heck uses Corel Draw Suite? I will bet the commercial printers go bonkers every time they receive a Corel file. OH, NOOOO! Another Corel file that is screwed up and unable to print or go to the rip for film and even direct to plate.

I am long-winded as usual?Kevin

Collapse -
Not many talking, because...
by funkid7 / April 2, 2005 7:42 PM PST

It's commercial software and those who use it, usually have a tech-manager handy, for problems/questions. I am just making a "guestimation", of course.

Collapse -
Mac OS X made them rush into...
by funkid7 / April 5, 2005 12:54 AM PDT

...Quark 6. I have the article here in front of me.

"Apples 'X'-treme moves concern execs" by Chuck Moozakis. Newspapers and Technology Januarary 2003 issue. Should be in their internet archives, if you wish to read it.

Collapse -
Yes, I have many filters
by funkid7 / April 2, 2005 8:08 PM PST
In reply to: Well?

Zenofex 1.0 and many others. Also have some filters called Andrews filters and they number in the 100's. I got them from artist at work and not sure about the version and authors.
I also use Bryce5.0 legal registered animation software. The render engine is kind of slow, but extremely easy app to use.
I just looked at my first Dodge sublimation printer for purchase. This thing can put your photo on a dimpled golfball!
Just got my business loan approved and will start making T-shirts/hats, with my art and graphics on them!
Also silk screening and thermal waxing available.
I have ran a two color sheet fed Hamada and am fully trained on them. Also, single color presses. Currently, I am supervisor on our Goss Community off-set press. I love this business...hehee.
A friend has offered to train me on calibration and uses of this equipment. I'm so excited, I can't wait!

Collapse -
Filters
by taboma. / April 4, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

Funkid, Filters are amazing and are wonderful to use, especially in Adobe Photoshop.
Combining one filter after another, along with other adjustments makes for a never-ending learning curve. What I did yesterday, unless I write it down, will be hard to remember. One way is to use actions and set up a folder to use later. Webmasters use Photoshop actions all the time.
Saves a lot of time with repetitive tasks.

Funkid, please send all us on CNET a hat with your logo on it. Just kidding. :?))

Good luck with your new business adventure.
Kevin
Posted by: taboma Posted on: 04/04/2005

Collapse -
PS 5.5 and PS 7
by funkid7 / April 5, 2005 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Filters

My PS 7 is only a copy from Tech. mngr. at work. can I still find filters for legal PS 5? Will any Adobe filters work in it?

Collapse -
I would delay purchasing CS2 until Adobe gets the bugs out
by htaylor / June 9, 2005 11:43 PM PDT

I was going to purchase CS2 yesterday but decided to first check out the forums on the Adobe website to see what purchasers of the product were saying about it. They were RANTING! If you don't need it, you may not want to buy it, yet (if at all). If you should decide to purchase CS2, I think that you should first go to Adobe's website and read what some of the newest buyers are saying about it.

Collapse -
Delay updating and purchasing
by taboma. / June 10, 2005 3:52 PM PDT

htaylor.
Thanks,
May well be updates on the software in the future? What great new things are with the update besides New Bugs!
I will check out Adobe forums also. Good post.
How good is the Adobe trial version of CS both in Photoshop and Illustrator to try out the interface and new features?
Thanks for the heads-up!

Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!