PC Applications forum

General discussion

adobe acrobat reader 6.0 will no longer load

by jklugmn / November 7, 2003 2:05 AM PST

have used this program for some time. had a lot of windows open including several internet explorers including one or two open to pdf files, as well as having a main reader window open as well. had some kind of problem and had to close windows. now can't load reader. reinstalled twice including full download from adobe, without success. at one point while trying to close things in task manager i received a message about "font changer" (or something like that) being unable to close properly. when i try to load reader i get the first screen with all the patent numbers, etc, but that's it. in task manager it shows that acroreader is using about 90% of my cpu, but nothing happens. any help will be much appreciated. thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adobe acrobat reader 6.0 will no longer load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adobe acrobat reader 6.0 will no longer load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:adobe acrobat reader 6.0 will no longer load
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2003 2:35 AM PST

Besides an uninstall, I've used this registry cleanup tool in a manual mode (just removing Acrobat entries) to give the installer a clean start. http://www.jv16.org/

It's also noteworthy the Acrobat has failed on many office machines to operate inside a web-browser. Adobe doesn't offer any cure for that issue but just notes to uncheck the web integration box. I can't fix that and apparently neither can Adobe.

In closing, you want to be free from all parasites with a clean scan from http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:adobe acrobat reader 6.0 will no longer load
by jklugmn / November 7, 2003 5:56 AM PST

i used regedit to do the same thing. didn't work. still hangs after the title/patent list page appears. any other ideas? it's clearly trying to do something or other without succeeding, using roughly 90% of the cpu to do it.

Collapse -
Specific to some PDF?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2003 6:47 AM PST

Your last post seems to note a particular PDF.

Is there a web site I can look at it?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Specific to some PDF?
by jklugmn / November 9, 2003 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Specific to some PDF?

no. i've tried to open several different pdf files. same story. i'm really pretty ignorant about this stuff, but my fantasy is there's some shared windows program (the '"font changer" or something like that' referred to in my first post?) that is damaged and not letting reader start loading. i note that on my desktop when reader loads there's the title page and a bunch of items flying along on a line low on the title page representing different componenets being loaded, then the program opens. what happens on my notebook, where i'm having this problem, is that the title page loads but none of those subcomponents seem to load. the cpu grinds away producing enough heat to turn on the fan to high, but nothing loads.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Specific to some PDF?
by jklugmn / November 9, 2003 3:24 AM PST

ps to prior- it most definitely is not some particular pdf. besides clicking on various pdf files, i've also tried opening reader "empty", that is opening the program directly without opening any particular file at all. no go.

Collapse -
Take a step back.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2003 4:11 AM PST

1. "Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

No mention of the OS or the quoted "error message". Just a something like this error which doesn't lend itself to lookups in error databases.

The OS can help if it's XP or some others in which you can use System Restore to when it worked. But without such information, the forum can't offer this.

2. You mention a font changer program, but don't tell if you installed such.

3. No mention if you were able to thoroughly remove Adobe and reinstall. By thorough I mean the registry entries such as I find with the jv16 Powertools from http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/#RegCleaner

4. Are the video and printer drivers uptodate?

5. Is the machine free from Parasites? Review http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Take a step back.
by jklugmn / November 9, 2003 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Take a step back.

os=xp running on a toshiba portege 2000.

there is no error message. the title page loads and the machine hangs, no loading or intializing messages streaming in the lower part of the title page, until i shift to another program or use task manager to end acroreader. task manager shows acroreader as loaded.
as i said i used regedit to delete all mentions of acroreader before trying my third reinstall.

the "font changer"(?) (i remember the word font but am not sure of the other word)was in a message about not being able to close some program properly when i first had to close a bunch of windows just prior to this problem appearing, as mentioned in my first message. it is not anything i installed and i assumed it was a subprogram of acroreader, or perhaps a windows os utility.

i have no reason to think there is a virus involved, running norton with autoupdates quite frequent.

i have never used system restore and if there is a way to use it in this case, would appreciate guidance.

Collapse -
Adobe Reader 7.0 will not load
by keady / January 21, 2005 10:07 PM PST

Hi - I'm new to using a forum but here goes. On certain PDF files that I'm trying to read from the internet the Adobe Reader hangs but on others it does not. It seems related to the size of the file. I had the same problem with Adobe Reader 6. I've deactivated Norton Script Blocking but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2005 11:25 PM PST

Uncheck the web integration box. That's what we do at the office when it glitches.

I know of no other fix.

Bob

Collapse -
Adobe Reader not loading
by keady / January 22, 2005 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Try...

Bob: thanks a lot for your reply but I'm sure where to find the Web Integration Box. I looked all through the Reader preferences and could not find it. Could you help me locate it.

Pete

Collapse -
Read...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 3:36 AM PST
Collapse -
Adobe Reader
by keady / January 22, 2005 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Read...

Bob: I tried what you suggested and I now can read the file. Thank you very much for your help.

Pete

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.