General discussion

Adobe Acrobat 4.0/Reader 6.0

I recently downloaded the free version of adobe reader 6.0 and I already had adobe acrobat 4.0 . Do I need both in my system, or does the 6.0 replace the 4.0? If so, should I un-install/delete the 4.0? I also have the adobe manager that came with the 6.0. I appreciate the help, because all of you guys are always ready to jump in and answer/help. Thanks, Tom..

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Adobe Acrobat 4.0/Reader 6.0
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Adobe Acrobat 4.0/Reader 6.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Adobe Acrobat 4.0/Reader 6.0

No, you don't need both of them in the same machine and the 6.0 won't replace the 4.0. You can uninstall the 4.0 without hurting the 6.0.

Regards,

- Collapse -
Tom, It Depends On Whether Your 'Wording' Is Correct

You mentioned that you previously had Adobe <b>Acrobat</b> 4.0 and that you recently downloaded Acrobat <b>Reader</b> 6.

The 'full' Adobe Acrobat program allows for the user to create .pdf files and lots of other things and is quite expensive to purchase. The free 'Reader' download only allows for viewing and printing of .pdf files. They are two different things.

<b>IF</b> you have the 'full' Adobe Acrobat program, you DON'T want to uninstall it unless you no longer need the program. <b>If, on the other hand</b>, you are speaking of Acrobat <b>Reader</b> 4.0 and 6.0 in both cases, then yes, I always uninstall the previous version before installing the new one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thanks Grif, I misread that... (NT)

- Collapse -
(NT) Frank, Maybe Not...We'll See .....

- Collapse -
Re:Adobe Acrobat 4.0/Reader 6.0

Hi, this is Tom the one with the original question. Yes, I only have the free versions, not the full program. So, I am assuming that I can go ahead and delete the 4.0 version and just keep the 6.0. All I use them for is to download .pdf files, etc. As usual, all of you are very helpful and kind enough to assist me. This is the BEST site to solve a problem or ask a question. Thanks again to all who responded. Tom...

- Collapse -
Great!!! (NT)

- Collapse -
(NT) Tom, Glad We Could Help !

CNET Forums