Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Admisistrative Tools Problem.

Computer is an 1.6 AMD Athlon XP 1900+, MSI MS-6378 Motherboard, 768MB SDRam Running XPSP2 Pro. Only new Addition is An Micro Advantage DVD+R/DVD-R /CD-RW Superdrive and it's Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 & PowerDVD software. All Drivers and sotware are current with the latest updates. Now the Problem. Last night all The Partition letters in Disk Management, including C Disappeared. The Computer still seems to be running fine. All you can do with these Partitions in disk management is Delete them and make new but, still no drive letters.Partitions can be accessed through My Computer, but I still need to fix this. No matter what I have tried it doesn't work. Help!! Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Admisistrative Tools Problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Admisistrative Tools Problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Admisistrative Tools Problem.

In reply to: Admisistrative Tools Problem.

Since it just started last night why not try System Restore?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Admisistrative Tools Problem.

David, have tried system restore, and have finally by process of elimination found the culprit. It is the Easy CD & DVD Creator 6. There is an update to the software but even with that the only way to fix Disk Management is to uninstall the Easy Creator software. Any other suggestions?. The software in XP won't burn DVD will it? Well I am off to recheck Roxio's website & tech Support.

Richard

Collapse -
DVD recording...

While my bet is that the issue revolves abour Roxio's DirectCD which I no longer install, you can look up CDBURNERXP to do some DVD recording. It's not as complete as Roxio, but something I do use for many procedures.

Try dumping DirectCD.

bob

Collapse -
Re: DVD recording...

In reply to: DVD recording...

Nero OEM 6.0 for under 10.00

check pricewatch.com

It does DVD and CDR

Collapse -

In reply to: DVD recording...

Tried seaching Help & Support for CDBURNERXP but found nothing. Are you saving that the burning software in XP will burn DVDs ? How do I remove just Direct CD? Thanks

Richard

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: DVD recording...

Search google.com for CDBURNERXP. You can read its web site for what it can do.

The directcd option should be offered during the Roxio install. Given the numerous screens I've seen during Roxio's installers I can't tell you exactly where it is anymore. Just keep an eye out for it and don't install it.

Bob

Collapse -

I have Roxio EZ CD creator 6.0 installed and haven't had a single problem. Version 6.0 has drag-to-disk instead of Direct CD. When installing the program, see if it allows for a custon installion. That is usually the way to choose what parts of the program to leave out.

Collapse -

After reading all the posts here and reading Roxio's tech email I decided to reinstall on a clean disk. Installed XP and XPsp2 and Then install the easy DVD & CD Creator 6 software and all was well. I then reinstalled the rest of my Programs & Applications and have had no problems whatsoever. Thanks for all your help.

ichard

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.