Computer Help forum

General discussion

Administrator Privileges on PC

by Discofever379 / December 21, 2008 8:29 AM PST

My first post on this forum. I have a computer with windows XP. The only user account on the computer is listed as "Limited". That is my problem. In order to do certain things you have to be a "Administrator". How can i change the "Limited" account to a "Administrator"? I have tried but it says you need to have another user who is a "administrator" make the change. Which is impossible since there is only one account on the system. I also can not add any new users to the computer. any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Administrator Privileges on PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Administrator Privileges on PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you?
by CMN240967 / December 21, 2008 8:35 AM PST

Have you tried to go onto the "Secret" Admin account?

Im sure if you Google it, you will find lots of guides on how to do it

Collapse -
Administrator on PC
by Discofever379 / December 21, 2008 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: Have you?

I have not tried that. but it's worth a try. Thank's for the feedback.

Collapse -
No Luck,
by Discofever379 / December 21, 2008 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Administrator on PC

I searched google and found the way to get to the "secret" administrator. I followed the instructions on how to get to the Winlogon and User List. I was to click on the "administrator" listed on the right panel on the registry. If none is listed i was to right click on user list and create a new "DWord" and name it "administrator". Long story short I couldn't write to the Registry i got a error message. "Error creating value" was the message i received.

Collapse -
Try It This Way...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: No Luck,

Restart the computer into Safe Mode.. Once there, select the "administrator" login.. As long as you never added a password there, leave the password blank, then press the "Enter" key.. You'll now load into the "administrator" user profile which has admin privileges..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Once there, open the Control Panel, then the "User Accounts" icon, then change your personal profile to one which has admin rights.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No Luck - part 2
by Discofever379 / December 22, 2008 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: Try It This Way...

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. There is no administrator listed under user accounts. The only account listed is me with a "limited" account. (in safe mode also) There are no options provided for me to change mine to a administrator. It has to be done by another administrator on the computer. Even in safe mode i could not do the registry fix suggested to me earlier. Thanks for the help. I want to add a wireless adapter to this PC but since i don't have the administrator privileges i can not install the set up disc. It will not allow me to change settings or tweak anything. or add new users.

Thanks

Collapse -
Yes There IS An 'administrator' Account In Safe Mode..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 1:07 PM PST
In reply to: No Luck - part 2

Forget the registry fix.. If you can't log in as a user with admin rights, you won't be able to edit it.

And since you mentioned it in your recent post, are there other administrative users that have access to this computer? (You originally stated "The only user account on the computer is listed as "Limited"...) Or are you the only user and the "limited" user IS the only account you're seeing..

Still, there should ALWAYS be an "administrator" account when starting in Safe Mode unless someone has incorrectly delete it.. When the computer starts in Safe Mode, you'll be given an option to log in under at least two accounts, "administrator" and something else such as "owner" or "User" or a name that the computer admin has created.. If the Welcome Screen is being used, adminstrator is one of those logins.. If the standard login dialogue box is there, then you simply need to type "administrator" in the username line and leave the password line blank.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No Luck, Part 3
by Discofever379 / December 24, 2008 9:54 AM PST

Grif, I had no luck. I reinstalled the windows XP program. I was having various problems, i figured i would start off fresh and reinstall windows. Thanks so much for all your help. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!