General discussion

administrative tools etc. windows close automatically

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum a minute ago...this one is probably more appropriate.
Windows XP
When I hit ctrl+alt+del the usual window pops up for 1-2 seconds and then automatically closes. The same goes for any program I launch from the administrative tools section of the control panel. They work in safe mode.
Is there a resident program running that closes them on me? I can't check the running processes, obviously.
Has this happened to anyone? Possible remedies?
thanks in advance,
-bj-

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: administrative tools etc. windows close automatically
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: administrative tools etc. windows close automatically
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you done any virus scans at all?
- Collapse -
Also out of curiousity
- Collapse -
Fixed!

Used the itty bitty proc. man. which showed a WINAMP6.exe I had never heard of this; a google search showed it to be a problem file. Nixed it and all is well. Fixed via Hijack this and its all clear.
thanks to all.
-bj-

- Collapse -
You're welcome and I would

CNET Forums

Forum Info