Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security

by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

I keep hearing that having an Administrator XP account is like "being a god", you can do anything you want, you have full control over the computer. Well I have an Administrator account and the other users have password protected regular accounts, and one other person has an Admin acct. I don't want to snoop, it's nothing like that (I already can get into every document on the computer, as can they, none of us protect folders or documents), but I want to reset Security settings in IE and found that doing them on my screen does not apply to all users. I have to reset them separately from each user's screen. And, I cannot, because I cannot get into all the other user's IE settings.

I am not a "god" as Administrator - all I can do is download programs and I guess that's it! Probably they can download programs too! I really need to change the security. The other users don't even live here all the time, do I really need each person to sit down and open their screen for me to work on? That will take forever!

I don't want the other users to share their passwords with me - they have had the same passwords for a long time, and I don't want them to have to change them because they shared them with me. Why can't I get into their IE programs to make a serious security change?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security

Could you type up instructions for the other users and allow them to make their own changes. This could help them to see the value of keeping their user profile up to date as you are doing.

Collapse -
Re:Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security

>> I want to reset Security settings in IE and found that doing them on my screen does not apply to all users. I have to reset them separately from each user's screen. And, I cannot, because I cannot get into all the other user's IE settings. <<

Of course that at first sight you can't. Why ? Because they are user specific. Suppose that you have a user that changed them according with his/her preferences. I don't think that he'll like that someone will change them.

>>I really need to change the security. The other users don't even live here all the time, do I really need each person to sit down and open their screen for me to work on? That will take forever!<<

How about the scenario that after your customer logon, you change it and later he changes them back ?

>>I don't want the other users to share their passwords with me - they have had the same passwords for a long time, and I don't want them to have to change them because they shared them with me <<

If you have administrative rights, you can do whatever you want, including so called Password reset.

>> Why can't I get into their IE programs to make a serious security change? <<

Well, the technical explanation is under this MSKB article:

Q182569 - "Description of Internet Explorer Security Zones Registry Entries"

So, after you digested it, you have the essential pieces of info in order to accomplish it.

Note: this topic is more difficult and that's why there is a distinction between End-User and someone dealing with the PC's Administration. The latter should know more than the former.

If you manage to solve this task, you'd be probable happy, but some of your Internet Caf

Collapse -
Re:Re:Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security

(This is my family. But yeah, they sure complain like customers off the street would!)
They wouldn't even have passwords but for my insistence, so friends can't sit down and have at it. Except for my son, who has an Admin acct, the rest of them know nothing, could care less, and need babysitters.

Are the things in IE security really not that important? "bhermes" (above) sees good in letting them do it themselves, but the thing is, they wouldn't do it. They think I overreact about security risks.

The article IS a lot to digest, Cetin, but I'm making progress! I know just enough more than my family to keep our heads above water here, but in the scheme of things I know very little. This is a great place to learn!

The thing with letting them logon and then me changing their password - all I need them to do is sit down in the first place, I could do it right then. That's the problem, they're hard to button down. I'd love to do it in a few clicks and be done.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Administator acct. - can't access other user's IE programs to change security

OK, Gregory there is a way in which you can setup the security at the machine level (instead of user level). All you have to do is add a new DWORD key named Security_HKLM_only and set its value 1 under the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

After that, change the settings in your account. So, it can be done (a couple of hours job) being logged on from your account without messing in the registry too much.

A good page with instructions for IE settings is Prevent Browser Hijacking where you'll find also additional tools.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
''How slow do you want processing to get''

There are many things out there which I can't even deciper what is or is not legitimate. Just taking a few examples and if you desire to see an example in your system registry, -- I'm only pretty sure it will be there provided the above features have been enabled, and you can step further through the Domains or History or ActiveX Compatibility address(s) on your system to see more. To review the caputured information in text file format for the two subjects, use the hyperlinks:

"S&D" (The approach for this software instead of detecting or removing targets, it inoculates a computer from executing certain software, stops you from downloading some types of parasite, and stops other things from working)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\008i.com

"SpywareBlaster"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\ad08.focalink.com

"IE-SPYAD" which you'll find all the references used contained within.

Collapse -
Re:''How slow do you want processing to get''
by Gregory M / June 6, 2004 10:18 AM PDT

Wow, I sure appreciate all that info and I'm going to C&P and save it. I'm not sure I want or need to go that far yet. It's interesting to see how things are set up (and how to get around them). Maybe doing it the old-fashioned way is actually a time-saver in this case.

Collapse -
Many ''users'' criticize IE and the lack of security
by Cursorcowboy / June 7, 2004 12:10 AM PDT

It's there one way or another and it's just like interstate snipers on bridges -- why they target you or programs such as these . . .

Precaution(s) IMO, is usually education.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.