HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Admin pwd forgot - Win2kpro reinstallation

by J.Ramya / March 29, 2008 6:15 AM PDT

As I forgot Administrator password of my Windows 2000 pro, I have reinstalled it in my desktop. While reinstalling I have out of space in my C drive, I had to reinstall in my other D drive. Now I have two copy of operating sys.

How do I reinstall my other applications from my c drive to D drive? Shall I just cut and paste/ drag the applications from C:\program files to D:\program files ? (I don't have hardcopy/CDs of those applications.)

I have my internet settings (Local area connection) in my previous windows. How should get that in my new OS? (broadband connection) I have wireless connection also in my laptop.

After copying/moving the necessary files and applications, How do I delete the prior Win2kpro safely from C drive?

I have installed NVIDEO already in my computer and I'm using it. How do I point it to my D drive/new os?

Do I need to do some other actions/precautions before using my new OS?

Is there anyway that I can get the previous Admin password? /reset the pwd?

Could someone throw light on this?

Thanks!
Ramya.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Admin pwd forgot - Win2kpro reinstallation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Admin pwd forgot - Win2kpro reinstallation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To reset the admin password...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

Look up NTPASSWD on google.

1. The apps are dead. Reinstall them as needed. Moving them doesn't work.

2. Removing the dead os means editing boot.ini. Type BOOT.INI at google for research.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
thanks!
by J.Ramya / March 29, 2008 6:46 AM PDT

Thank you for the immediate reply!

In Administrative tools-computer management-Device manager, it shows None under Modem, Network adaptors in the new copy.
It means Do i have to reinstall all these too? I can't get it from the old copy, c drive?

Collapse -
That is not advised.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2008 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks!

Just like "programs", drivers don't move like that. Since you can reset the old OS's password why not fix that?

Collapse -
Reset old OS pwd
by J.Ramya / April 17, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: That is not advised.

Just got the chance to check your reply! Thanks!

Could you tell me how to reset the password of my old OS's Admin?

Thanks in Advance!

Collapse -
Since you can't use the answers....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Reset old OS pwd
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.