Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Adjusting BIOS after installing new graphics card

by tomncar / December 3, 2013 6:43 AM PST

Hi, I hope someone could advise me.
A friend (of a friend who should know what he's doing ) recently installed a grahics card for me (Radeon HD6670 PCI Express 2.1 bus (2gb memory)
I did so as I was experiencing distortion, when viewing via HDMI on my TV (tried various media players VLC , classic, Divx etc) Also when scrolling up and down on webpages an annoying horizontal distorted line about 1/4 thick .
I suspect that whats happening is that my PC is still using the onbard graphics (64M) on my Gigabyte (GA-H61M-S2PV)

I normally wouldn't go near the BIOS however I have had a look;
"Init display First" is set to Auto with there being options to set to IGFX, PEG or PCI ......
"Internal Graphics is set to Auto with options Auto, Enable or Disable N.B. on the sidebar it says 'keep IGD enabled based on the setup options'

My questions are : Is it SAFE for me to change the settings ie disable IGD
And what I should I change the Init Display to (PEG or PCI) if indeed I should change them at all

I have to say I'm itching to just go ahead as it all seems so obvious but don't want to end up having a non functioning at all PC, or am I just being too cautious.

Thanks for your patience in reading this Tom (uk)

tomncar has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adjusting BIOS after installing new graphics card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adjusting BIOS after installing new graphics card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by tomncar

Collapse -
Solved
by tomncar / December 7, 2013 7:15 AM PST

Hi, Just an update.
I found out from the tweaktown forum that it was safe to disable the IGD (onbard graphics/video) and set 'Init Display' to PEG (express bay) It made no difference to the 'scrolling ripple lag' I was experiencing on web pages but did make them faster to load. Also no diff to HDMI to TV display.

On the 'Bleepingcomputer' someone suggested it might be the TV settings itself , so buried in advance settings I found and tried a 'LED Motion Plus' setting switched it to on and hey presto , no distortion.

Also found out that the 'scrolling ripple lag' was a known issue with firefox 25.0.1 and earlier vers. I believe - I found the solution to that with an add-on called 'Yet Another Smooth Scrolling' Apparently it works with Chrome too though haven't tried that as I like my Tabs on the bottom and only FF do that AFAIK.

So there you have it - Thanks to Digger again for getting me started

Cheers, All the best Tom

Collapse -
Thanks for letting us know
by itsdigger / December 7, 2013 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Solved

how you fixed this. Sorry we couldn't have been more help , that's very unusual. Please come back and join us in helping others as we need all the volunteers we can get....Digger

Collapse -
Answer
Why Bios?
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 6:55 AM PST

Have you looked into the device manager and disabled the onboard graphics?....Digger

Collapse -
Shows you how much I don't know
by tomncar / December 3, 2013 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Why Bios?

Thanks for the lightening reply. Just looked at 'device manager' but sorry, I haven't a clue where to look for that Blush .
I'm using Windows 7 ultimate btw. where would I find that setting?
Thanks Digger

Collapse -
Well, You go into
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:05 AM PST

the device manager and you'll see Display Adapter and click on that and it will show the drivers being used. Didn't the new graphics card come with an install disk? ....Digger

Collapse -
Yes the friend used the install disc
by tomncar / December 3, 2013 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: Well, You go into

Yes Digger, he used the install disc and I'm 99% sure he checked for Driver updates as well.
When I looked in display adapter - its AMD Radeon HD6670 says this device is working properly, Driver date 11/june/2012 and there's an option to disable the driver
So I know it says that but why are my display distortion "Exactly" like they were before new grahics? Thats why I thought BIOS as over the years I've read bits and bobs that thats what you should look at-
What do you reckon? Cheers Tom

Collapse -
I recon
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:44 AM PST

I'd try a different display and see if the problem still exists also make sure the new card is seated properly ...Digger

Collapse -
p.s. Make sure
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: I recon

the cable is good too...Digger

Collapse -
Bit more info
by tomncar / December 3, 2013 9:30 AM PST
In reply to: I recon

Hmmm , I'm using a Samsung 21" LED monitor with a VGA connection and the HDMI to the Samsung 32" and have the problem I've described on original post on both displays.
I have the scrolling problem when I'm just using the monitor itself and when I use TV HDMI for browsing.

I did notice last night that when I'm using 'extend' option with dual display (windows key+P) the video's distort when there's lots of movement and panning across, but when I use the 'duplicate' option it's ok with the vids but still have the niggling scroll when I'm trying to read web pages.
So my reasoning is duplicate doesn't need much graphics power but extend ie web browsing on monitor and putting films on for the wife and 5 yr old boy does.

Would it harm to try the BIOS change? Thoughts?
Cheers Tom

Collapse -
Now you're
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 9:34 AM PST
In reply to: Bit more info

getting out of my league. Time for the Big Guns here to take over. Sorry I couldn't be more help....Digger

Collapse -
PS
by tomncar / December 3, 2013 9:36 AM PST

There's no option to disable onboard graphics in Display adapter

Collapse -
Cheers Digger
by tomncar / December 3, 2013 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: PS
Grin Thanks for you're time Digger , at least there's more info now , regards Tom
Collapse -
you're Welcome
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: Cheers Digger

just for future references, The last bit of information should have been told in the beginning. Always tell us all of the information because the answers may be different like maybe Hows your PSU....Digger

Collapse -
More Info
by tomncar / December 3, 2013 11:32 AM PST
In reply to: you're Welcome

Sorry ,new to posting on forums for help.

Intel Pentium CPU G870@3.10GHz
4GB RAM
64-bit Operating system
Service pack 1

Collapse -
I don't think I would
by itsdigger / December 3, 2013 9:44 PM PST

go into those BIOS until someone more knowledge about dual monitors looks at this thread....Digger

Collapse -
Looks like they all doing the Xmas shopping :)
by tomncar / December 4, 2013 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: I don't think I would

Funny when I read your post Digger. Thougt you said 'Go' into the BIOS till someone else comes along hehe
I've copy and pasted the question onto 'Bleeping Computer dot com forum to see if I get a response.
So thanks again cos now I've given all the info I can think of.
Been wondering if I should install 'Belarc' or 'AIDA' ;suppose I'm trying to avoid any the hassle esp as every bit of freeware seems to try to install toolbars ,search engine etc these days

Collapse -
Well maybe someone is here now
by itsdigger / December 4, 2013 7:58 AM PST

that can help you. Hope you didn't do anything rash...Digger

Collapse -
Just out of curiosity though
by itsdigger / December 4, 2013 8:12 AM PST

do you know how big your Power Supply Unit (PSU) is ? ....Digger

Collapse -
No don't know
by tomncar / December 4, 2013 8:17 AM PST

Is there an easy way of finding out?

Collapse -
Tell us the
by itsdigger / December 4, 2013 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: No don't know

exact make and model of the computer... Digger

Collapse -
Ah !
by tomncar / December 4, 2013 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Tell us the

Apart from the mobo/processor/graphics card I don't know as same guy put it together himself- he works commercially in computers on short contracts but more information/data I surmised.
I'm sure he knows the main stuff, but I've noticed he's surprised at little things like About:config in Firefox
I'm still thinking that probably 95% of the time the onboard graphics would have automatically been disabled but this is just one of those times when it's needed.
Kinda glad you said not to chance it - Almost thought throw the dice and see what happens haha

Collapse -
Answer
I see Bob's in the house
by itsdigger / December 4, 2013 9:48 AM PST

maybe he can help you with this. I've gone as far as I can ....Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.