Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

adir.exe, taskdir.exe, game.exe, abc.exe

by Journall / January 29, 2007 8:22 PM PST

I have been having the listed (subject title)programs starting up or at least attempting to randomly start up whilst my computer is on..

taskdir.exe, abc.exe, adir.exe, game.exe

Now, I haven't seen the game.exe so much, but when I do it can range from game.exe to game1.exe to game4.exe..

I have tried deleting these programs manually, by searching for all files with their names (for example 'taskdir' or 'adir') with no luck.. I have used a virus scanner (AVG Free) and a few anti-spyware programs (Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search and Destroy, and a few others) ..with again.. no luck.. I have used hijackthis to remove things, I have removed anything suspicious from startup (through MSconfig) and under the services list (excluding any Microsoft products) and I have even went through my registry to remove anything with the name taskdir, adir, abc.exe and some even with game.exe..

None of this has worked, and I would hate to have to redo windows yet again..

The main reason I thing that this problem is still on my computer is that when I idle, or even when I don't .. eventually ZoneAlarm will popup claiming that 'abc.exe' is attempting to allow 'taskdir.exe' access to the internet.. and even without ZoneAlarm I find that taskdir.exe has become listed under processes..

I'm pretty much out of ideas, I am using Windows XP Pro, and I can list a hijackthis log if that may serve any purpose..

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Stephanie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adir.exe, taskdir.exe, game.exe, abc.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adir.exe, taskdir.exe, game.exe, abc.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Run online scan
by Donna Buenaventura / January 29, 2007 8:28 PM PST
Collapse -
Rootkit removal
by Donna Buenaventura / January 29, 2007 8:30 PM PST
Collapse -
Have you looked up the file names ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 30, 2007 5:41 AM PST

(one at a time) with Google or Yahoo?

Here are a couple (and if the page recommends downloading or buying any program the decision is yours to make (I wouldn't myself as the other info generally poindt to proper eradication).

Game.exe:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-103118-0448-99&tabid=3

ADIR.EXE
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-103118-0448-99&tabid=3 (note: have you installed any emulaters such as ATARI?)

Taskdir.exe
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/taskdir.exe-14675.html
(note: sometimes you need to read the info to discover other things such as -

Added by the Trojan.Abwiz.F rootkit/downloading Trojan. This infection has rootkit capabilities that it uses to hide its presence. This infection is marked as a rootkit as it injects the C:\Windows\System32\taskdir.dll file into all running processes.

because that leads to this:
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.abwiz.f.html#technicaldetails where a removal tool can be found)

Now you can fish so you can "catch" the rest.

I suggest making use of the ANTI Virus application of your choice AND ensuring that it is in real time mode AND is manually updated at least once a week in case the auto update fails.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!