Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Address Bar

by pmnt00246 / August 19, 2006 6:23 AM PDT

I've lost the facility to use the drop-down list of previously used addresses. It sticks in my mind thaat, years ago I did this and just went to internet options/advanced, and fixed it from there. I can'at do it now. Any ideas?
I have Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Address Bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Address Bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check the settings
by Darton Fury / August 19, 2006 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Address Bar

You can make adjustments to Auto Complete for web addresses from the Content Tab of Internet Properties and access Inline Auto Complete from the Advanced tab.

Collapse -
Address Bar
by pmnt00246 / August 19, 2006 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Check the settings

Thank you for replying. No, it's not the auto-complete that I've lost ( I don't really bother with that), it's the drop-down list which appears when you click on the little arrow at the RHS of the address bar of the browser page....where it shows all of the previously used addresses. This allows me to click on any one of them and up pops the site in question. Is that a better explanation?

Collapse -
Re: Address Bar
by Tufenuf / August 19, 2006 10:43 PM PDT

As Darton Fury stated you must have Auto Complete for Web Addresses enabled in Internet Options>Content tab>AutoComplete button.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Address bar
by pmnt00246 / August 20, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Address Bar

Thank you, but I have already, in frustration, enabled that without recovering previously accessed addresses. What I have done is to access several sites which I know from memory and they all appear in the usual drop-down menu, but when I cancel my browser and reopen it, the addresses have gone and I only have my 'home' page.

Collapse -
Address bar--Try This
by Tufenuf / August 20, 2006 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Address bar

pmnt00246, Go into Internet Options>Advanced tab and scroll down to Security and uncheck "Empty Temporary Files when browser is closed", click Apply/OK. See if this works.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Address bar
by pmnt00246 / August 20, 2006 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Address bar--Try This

Thanks once more. It was already unchecked. I feel that there is something in the background (in view of the fact that System Restore allows it to work the first time) which is causing this to happen and I think my server's programme is the culprit. I think I'll try to uninstall it and make sure that IE is up-to-date. I'm grateful for your interest.

Collapse -
Address Bar
by pmnt00246 / August 23, 2006 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Check the settings

My thanks to you (as you were the first to reply)and to all of the others who offered their help. The problem has been resolved now. The reason???....my server had a problem and I only realised this when some friends, who have the same server, mentioned that they had the same difficulty.

Collapse -
What program ..............
by Trance_Zac / August 19, 2006 9:26 AM PDT

are you referring to? Outlook? Outlook Express? What addresses are you referring to?

Collapse -
Address Bar
by pmnt00246 / August 19, 2006 6:13 PM PDT

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and my apoplogies for not making this clear. I'm talking about my browser page, using Internet Explorer. The little arrow at the RHS of the bar , when clicked, would previously, give a drop-down list of sites visited and, to recover any one of those sites, all I needed to do was click on the particular address and up would pop the site. Is that more clear?

Collapse -
Check your history setting
by glb613 / August 20, 2006 12:45 AM PDT

Go to internet options and set the history to more than one day.

Collapse -
Address bar
by pmnt00246 / August 20, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

Thank you. I already have set it at 21 days...have done for a long time (although I had forgoatten the actual number of days)

Collapse -
One question
by sinclair--2008 / August 20, 2006 12:49 AM PDT

Have you unchecked the box for ''show my most recent documents'' lately ? If you did the list of sites you visited also got emptied.

That's why there's no drop-down list coming up.

Collapse -
Address bar
by pmnt00246 / August 20, 2006 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: One question

Thank you for your reply. Possibly. Where is that option?

Collapse -
Re: Most recently opened documents setting.
by Tufenuf / August 20, 2006 1:49 AM PDT

pmnt00246, Right click your Start button, choose Properties, under the Start Menu tab click the Customize button, inder the Advanced tab checkmark "List my most recently opened documents", click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Address bar
by pmnt00246 / August 20, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

Thank you again. Yes, I remember doing this, but differently, with Windows98, which is when this last happened to me, and it was never a problem. Unfortunately, the fault is still there. Can I also say that I tried a restore to a date in the last week and, first time, up came all of my addresses on the drop-down menu, but, when I cleared the browser and opened it up again for a second time, I was back to square one.
In the middle of the past week, my server, Telewest, upgraded their virus package which included lots of other benefits which have been free for some time until now. I have not taken their offer which is much more expensive so I wonder if this has a bearing on my problem.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You are welcome pmnt00246 !
by sinclair--2008 / August 20, 2006 8:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ok
by jprkenny / August 20, 2006 4:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
Contact Microsoft
by jprkenny / August 20, 2006 4:03 PM PDT

If you can't get help why don't you contact Microsoft to help you with your problem if you still have.

Collapse -
steven1992
by sinclair--2008 / August 20, 2006 6:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Contact Microsoft

Something tells me you placed your post in the wrong thread.

Collapse -
Address Bar
by pmnt00246 / August 20, 2006 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: steven1992

Where would your choice have been?

Collapse -
Dear pmnt00246
by sinclair--2008 / August 20, 2006 10:32 PM PDT

You cannot say it publicly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?