Computer Help forum

General discussion

addon's for ie explorer

by alan3b / December 13, 2010 11:56 AM PST

i am having a problem setting up google earth and just getting the download. when i go to try to download google earth in ie it brings up error message and says it encountered a problem and had to shut down. there have also been a message about a problem with addon's with internet explorer. i have had it on this computer in the past with no problem. a few months ago i cleared off the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp and the needed programs we use. how can i fix this problem with internet explorer and be able to install google earth? the computer is a dell dimension 2400 windows xp. thanks, alan.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: addon's for ie explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: addon's for ie explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try another browser?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 13, 2010 7:00 PM PST

Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera etc. Google Earth can be downloaded via any browser.

IE can be affected by add-ons and there are methods to try and solve problems. IE 7 or 8;

1] Open IE and goto Tools > Manage Add-ons. Disable all add-ons restart IE and see if it works with no problems. If so, start adding in Add-ons one at a time until you find the one that breaks IE. Remove that if you can, or keep it disabled if you cannot.

2] The 'brute force' method. In IE goto Tools > Internet Options then the Advanced tab. Click the "Reset" button. This resets IE back to default and removes all 3rd party add-ons and tooolbars. Beware, this may delete all Favorites, cookies, history and any web site login/passwords that IE has saved.

See if either of those help.

Mark

Collapse -
re: addon's for ie explorer
by alan3b / December 14, 2010 10:54 AM PST

i disabled the add on's in internet explorer. then the download progress was so so slow i used google chrome to download google earth. i had it downloaded before through opera, but it wouldn't install it. this time with chrome just like before it starts to install to the point it has an introduction box with tips about the program on the desktop and then a message box comes up that says there was a problem with installation and can't install. doesn't say why. have any ideas?

Collapse -
Tried Using The Standalone Installer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 14, 2010 11:42 AM PST

Click on the link below, then click on the "Advanced Setups" link in the bottom of the page. (Uncheck the Google Chrome boxes immediately above the "Terms Of Service" Window. Select the 6.0 beta or the previous 5.2 version, then UNCHECK the "updater" and "Peruser" options if you wish z(I leave the Peruser option CHECKED), then click on the "Agree and Download" button. A download dialogue window will open which will allow you to download the offline standalone installer to your desktop.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/download/ge/agree.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re:re:re: add on's for ie explorer
by alan3b / December 15, 2010 9:05 PM PST

i tried the stand alone installer, and it did install & setup, thanks. could you tell me something else. since i cleared off the hard drive and re-installed windows xp, the computer freezes up very easily and often. the computer has i think about 2gb of ram memory. i bought some and installed after we bought the computer. have norton antivirus that now when i am using opera brings up a message with a graph that says opera is using too much memory i think. but it froze up on my daughter last night and she was just trying to print out something from wordpad. but it also said it had thirty two processes running. have some ideas of something i can do? it also constantly brings up the upgrade to (internet explorer Cool when i'm using ie, and i upgraded a few months back. thanks alan.

Collapse -
Processes
by PKsteven / December 16, 2010 1:23 AM PST

Hi,

Can you go to Start/Run type in CMD, brings up a black box. In the black box, type or copy this...

tasklist /FO CSV>C:\tasklist.txt

This will put a text file of your processes on C:\ called tasklist.txt, then you can open, copy and paste it here.

Collapse -
re: re:re:re: addon's ie explorer
by alan3b / December 16, 2010 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: Processes

i tried getting the drivers from dell.com and then from the system setup cd's that came with the computer. it gets to the end and then say it can't finish. i found the list of running processes through task manager. but i couldn't copy it to be able to paste it in this message. there are over thirty processes running. which ones do i need to stop? or which i need to leave? ones that say system? the percent of operation went from thirty eight percent down to two percent. acts kind of like a virus. but i have norton av, and i guess all those processes running is probably enough to bring the system down.

Collapse -
The task list ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 17, 2010 3:21 AM PST

if you followed his instructions EXACTLY and used the command he gave you - tasklist /FO CSV>C:\tasklist.txt you don't need to do anything else but open the file named tasklist.txt now located in your C:\ directory (folder) and paste its contents into a reply to him.

Running the command wrote the file, C:\tasklist.txt, for you.

Collapse -
Sounds Like A Lack Of Drivers..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 16, 2010 2:49 AM PST

If you recently wiped the hard drive and reinstalled XP, I'll guess you missed installing some of the critical drivers needed for running the computer correctly.. Chipset/motherboard drivers, audio and video drivers, ethernet drivers, and every other type of hardware on the computer require such..

Visit the computer manufacturer's website and download, then install the latest drivers for your machine.. Or visit the device manufacturer's website for each hardware device listed in Device manager, then download install the latest driver for such.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
re: addon's for ie explorer
by alan3b / December 16, 2010 8:42 PM PST

i tried getting the drivers from dell.com and then from the system setup cd's that came with the computer. it gets to the end and then say it can't finish. i found the list of running processes through task manager. but i couldn't copy it to be able to paste it in this message. there are over thirty processes running. which ones do i need to stop? or which i need to leave? ones that say system? the percent of operation went from thirty eight percent down to two percent. acts kind of like a virus. but i have norton av, and i guess all those processes running is probably enough to bring the system down. i don't mean to keep running the same thing by you but this is what i posted last night, and it didn't seem like you answered it. sorry i don't mean for it to sound like i have an attitude or anything. i really do appreciate your help. thanks, alan.

Collapse -
Do this please....
by PKsteven / December 17, 2010 9:20 AM PST

Let's start from basics. You are obviously having some major trouble and I think we need to FIRST scan to see if infected and no offense,I don't trust Norton. Go get Avira Free Rescue disk here...

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82163

follow the instructions, and do this from a known good pc if possible, as it's likely impossible on yours anyway. Boot from the disk. In configuration, it gives you a choice to remove, click that. Run a scan, this may take a bit of time.

Post back what you find.

It's beginning to sound more like a hard drive issue but one step at a time.

Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?