Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

MacBooks forum

General discussion

Adding Windows 7 and Parallel Software

by tmccoy14 / May 28, 2010 4:33 AM PDT

I just bought a MacBook Pro and while I love somethings about it, I miss being able to use some windows functions. What are the problems with adding Windows to it? I have time to return it and go back to a PC but I think if it had the other operating system as well I would love it..seems like a lot of money though to keep it if I am running windows on it..
Confused.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding Windows 7 and Parallel Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding Windows 7 and Parallel Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I guess that depends
by Jimmy Greystone / May 28, 2010 8:31 AM PDT

I guess that depends on what it is you miss about Windows. There are a couple of different options for running Windows software though. There's Boot Camp, which basically lets you run Windows natively on your system, and then there's VMWare/Parallels which lets you run it along side Mac OS X. There's a performance hit, but since the CPU instruction set is the same, it's pretty minimal.

But there may be things you aren't aware of about OS X, or maybe it really is better for you to return it and get a Windows based laptop. Won't really know unless you can be a bit more specific than "some windows functions."

Collapse -
Thanks
by tmccoy14 / May 28, 2010 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: I guess that depends

Thank you. I spent awhile talking to the Apple folks and I think I am going to try parallel and windows 7. My biggest gripe is not being able to run my MSN mail from it..I know very minimal problem but I have been with them for years and I have a lot of important emails on there that don't transfer by just using hotmail. My printer seems to be having issues with sharing between the Mac and the PC we have here..I appreciate the advice.

Collapse -
You might want to try Virtual Box.
by Badknee / May 29, 2010 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Our university is in the process of going all Mac. About 3/4 of the faculty have MacBook Pros now. Rest will get them next year. Some of the faculty, as well as some of the staff, need Windows to run some particular piece of software. Boot Camp wasn't much of an option, as they needed to go back and forth. They didn't like having to reboot each time.

I have used Parallels in the past, with no major problems except for the performance hit. So, I really have nothing bad to say about it. When I got Snow Leopard, I couldn't use my current Parallels and I didn't want to pay the fee to upgrade.

I just got my new MBP a few weeks ago. Our IT people are putting Virtual Box on our new Macs. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, only booting to make sure it worked, but the ones that have used it have reported good results.

Here's the link in case you want to try it. It's FREE, which is one point in its favor. Happy

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!