Phones forum

General discussion

Adding unlocked GSM phone to Cingular

by biofloat / April 11, 2005 3:43 PM PDT

I have one TDMA phone with Cingular (actually ATT Wireless). It's used by my wife.

I want to add an unlocked GSM Treo 650 as a second Cingular cell phone on a "family plan". I *do not* have a Cingular SIM card. How do I get one for my unlocked Treo 650?

Can I go to a Cingular store with my Treo where they will give me a SIM card once I add the phone to our existing account? Or do I need to do it by phone? (Or do I have to sacrifice my first-born child?)



Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Adding unlocked GSM phone to Cingular
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Adding unlocked GSM phone to Cingular
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 11, 2005 8:55 PM PDT

Go to the store with the phone and purchase a new SIM card (approx $20) and activate your new device on the Family Talk plan. You will only pay an initial $18 activation fee on your next billing statement. You can either go to an authorized agent or a retail location.

Collapse -
just go and get one of the free phones
by / April 17, 2005 3:50 AM PDT

Just go and get one of the free phones from cingular, and while you are there upgrade your wifes to the gsm plan. After you are done, just change the sim card to your treo 650 and give your new gsm phone to your wife.

Collapse -
I do not think it is that easy
by hh / April 17, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

In order to get a family plan, first of all the TDMA with ATTWS will have to be changed to a GSM family plan. Only after that will he be able to get maybe 2 free phones (the cheapest ones) and then take out the SIM card from one of the phones and place it on the unlocked Treo 650. In either case they would have to sign up for a new 2 year plan. Or he can just get pay-as-you-go plan for his unlocked SIM card and leave the wife on the old TDMA plan without commiting to a new 2 year plan.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?